Author Topic: what size plot and how much produce  (Read 1774 times)

mr plasma

• Half Acre
what size plot and how much produce
« on: October 30, 2006, 18:14:27 »
my plot is approximately 150 sqare yds,allowing 25 sqyds for paths, shed and greenhouse etc,what sort of yield can i expect .i should add i want to grow fruit and veg.i took on the plot at the end of the season so was wondering what sort of quantity of seeds, plants etc should i buy for next year. all replys welcome

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: what size plot and how much produce
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 20:33:44 »
It is all very variable.... but fun. We have 5 plots, not all full size (300sq yards). We are usually self sufficient in potatoes... onions and so on. Leaf veg like cabbage, chard, spinach give the best return for space...
 8)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 21:26:26 »
A family of 6 could live happily off one courgette plant - something to remember!

Depends on how big your freezer is and if you want to store stuff or just eat what is in season!

next year i will allow for 50 sweetcorn - had 21 this year which was enough but didnt get to freeze any!

1 courgette plant, 1 patty pan plant, 3 buttercup squash plants, 1 marrow, maybe 4 other varieties of squashes.

8 rows of carrots, 5 rows of parsnips, lots of pots, 12 bulbs of garlic, 40 leeks, 3 rows swedes, 3 turnips, 1 swiss chard, 2 spinach, 3 spring onions, 10 onion rows, 20 asp crowns.

Just thinking aloud! LOL

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 21:28:55 »
I'd say it's almost impossible to estimate until you've been in situ for a couple of years, generally I'd say go for more than you think, I can normally find a way to squeeze extra stuff in

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 10:23:20 »
don't forget your soft fruits and strwberries as when you get them in, they're quite easy to look after, also, we leave a bit of somewhere to experiment, this year it was barlotto beans and melothrie cucumbers :)

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 22:12:03 »
thanks for replys :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal