Author Topic: Pondfish still feeding  (Read 2281 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
Pondfish still feeding
« on: October 28, 2006, 16:08:46 »
I'm sure I had stopped feeding my pond fish by this time last year but the fish are still appearing regularly for food - I imagine this is because the weather is so mild?  Is it ok to continue to feed until we get a cold snap? ???
Weeds? What weeds?

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
Re: Pondfish still feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 21:54:41 »
Still feeding mine too, I usually make the cut off time 5th Nov ( Don't ask me why I read it somewhere )
Strangely enough Only my goldfish are feeding I have not seen the Orfe for ages
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 16:23:37 »
 :)Thanks for that tip - an easy date to remember too.  I only have goldfish in my pond now - sadly, the heron took my Orfe :'(
Weeds? What weeds?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 16:38:18 »
My goldfish will still take all the wheatgerm I'm prepared to give them, but I'm cutting back and won't feed them any more after the end of the month - regardless of how warm it is :).
I've just spent an hour cleaning the pressure filter of all the accumulated gunge and don't want to have to do a complete clean again till the Spring :). I do a 'Powerclenz' about every ten days or so, which is why I fail to understand why I can't get the pond water clear ???.

Tricia

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 19:03:15 »
All my fish are still coming up for food though they are only being given wheatgerm or live and only once a day when I remember  ;)
The usual time to stop is if the temp is below 4'c.
Tricia whats a Powerclenz?
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 19:10:35 »
AL  Ours are still feeding like Pirhanas!  Must be the brand of food we're giving them!  So, we feed until they stop guzzling.

Tricia.  Do you have a good UV filter?  If not, may be why you can't get the water clear.  Also, UV bulbs need changing every six months. :D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 23:15:15 »
lilylover - I have a Fishmate pressurized UV + Bio filter with an automatic cleaning system called Powerclenz.

muddy boots - I put a new 9w UV bulb in in May, so it should have helped keep the water clear this summer - but it didn't  :(.

I have another problem now - too many fry, my fish have been very prolific this year ::). I've given away more than twenty small fish, but there are probably at least another twenty too many. I'm going to try the local Freecycle to see if I can find homes for them but with the water being so murky it's very difficult to net the small stuff.

Tricia

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 19:32:33 »
Thanks Tricia thats one I've not come across  :)  I have the same problem with baby goldfish and had to build another pond this year  ::)  Think I'm a bit too soft so I'm letting the koi feast in future  ;)
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 21:25:39 »
I stop feeding when water temp goes below 10C as do many others, unless wheatgerm which is ok all year but they don`t need it.

Very green pond this year, must get new uv!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal