Author Topic: White Fly  (Read 1762 times)

Cool Carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Eat Me !!  I Know You Want To !!
White Fly
« on: April 13, 2004, 20:05:47 »
Hi peeps!!

Whats the easiest way of killing white fly???
Regards
CC
And it's good by from the Cool Carrot.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:White Fly
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 21:16:03 »
Organically, spraying with either insecticidal soft soap or organic pest control (from PBI) which is based on rape seed oil, are effective against whitefly.

Biological pest control is available for low-medium infestations. Encarsia is a tiny parasitic wasp. For 1 treatment, the cost is £7.65 from the organic gardening catalogue.

To keep them out of a greenhouse, tagetes/marigolds are supposed to be effective.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 16:10:28 »
To add to multiveg's list..........yellow sticky traps near the affected plants.

Regularly tap the affected plant/s to get them on the wing and hopefully they will get stuck to the 'sticky trap'

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 18:11:01 »
You don't say where - if outside, jet them off.

Yellow things?
1. I find that sticky traps catch more hoverflies than pests. If you do use them, keep them only just above the plant tops.
2. Tagetes etc - it's diffficult enough to get the edible things in on time - 4 times more so to get the yellow things blooming at the same time. And to last in bloom for 4 months?? = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 01:29:35 »
I use the wonderful insecticide more commonly known as dishwashing liquid on my houseplants. To get good coverage you need to gently turn the leaves over and spray hard and promptly. Because the adults tend to take off immediately do it around dusk as they are lethargic at this time. It also gets over the problem of some plants being photosensitive to the acids in the dishwashing liquid. Obviously on a greenhouse scale I use parasities.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal