Author Topic: Plans for my garden...  (Read 7022 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: Plans for my garden...
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 23:46:58 »
I was only assuming the line and seating. Most people forget about the washing.

Nice garden, If you are like me and have been planting in availiable spaces try and remember which plants done well. Try and get them as near as they were when you replant. Which direction does the garden face? and does it get hot. The reason I ask is that because of the hot weather that is predicted to get warmer, go for more drough resistant plants, and make sure your water does not discolour with too much sunlight.

i don't use a washing line. i use a tumble dryer. even in the summer lol.

the raised bed most of the time is in part shade so that's kewl. and the bed near the patio will be in part shade aswell once the trellises go up and get covered with plants.

i'm not too sure where the garden faces. i haven't got a compass so i tried the thing where the moss grows on the north side. to be honest there isn't much moss growing anywhere in my garden so i found it difficult. i *think* it's west facing.

and the water will be in part shade aswell.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 06:53:21 »
i borrow my neighbour's washing line.  i call it payment in kind (for digging/using her beds).

she's not complained yet !!   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:44 »
I use an old fashioned pulley type squeeky squeeky rack in the kitchen to dry washing. The whirligig washing line in our communal garden is three flights of stairs away, somehow it don't seem worth it :-\
Back on topic - whirligigs do work and aren't too horrid to look at :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 16:43:02 »
whirligigs do work and aren't too horrid to look at :)

Go and wash your mouth out ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 16:45:34 »
 :-[

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 20:14:09 »
i think washing lines are too unpredictable. the wind blows them around a bit too much sometimes. sometimes you find your clothes in your flower beds regardless of what types of pegs you get. sometimes birds poo on the clothes....sometimes someone's burning something and the smell of smoke gets into the clothes. sometimes it starts raining...or sometimes you don't bring them in on time and they get really stiff. and it you can never tell how long they need to dry because some days aren't as sunny as others.

and there aren't any i've seen that aren't an eye sore.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 21:50:57 »

i'm not too sure where the garden faces. i haven't got a compass so i tried the thing where the moss grows on the north side. to be honest there isn't much moss growing anywhere in my garden so i found it difficult. i *think* it's west facing.

Top Tip Wahaj.....the sun rises in the east and sets in the west..... ;)  ;D

btw.....you got the vouchers for the heathers OK?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 08:05:50 »

Top Tip Wahaj.....the sun rises in the east and sets in the west..... ;)  ;D

btw.....you got the vouchers for the heathers OK?

this is true. whenever i've tried that...it's been on a cloudy morning so i'm not really too sure as to where the sun is, lol.

and yes thanks! i got the vouchers! i'll be sending my dad down there tommorow mornin!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 09:56:24 »
I would love to move into a house with an empty garden so that I could start all over again. I really love the hit and miss effort. It's more exciting even if at times it proves disastrous. I'm a gemini so perhaps thats why I like to change things all the time. The allotment gives me a little more ground to play with but I'm still not satisfied. Your garden design looks fantastic. Have you had any training in design or does it come naturally. I do agree however that you need some water in the garden if only to have somewhere to plant your iris.lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 12:34:44 »
I would love to move into a house with an empty garden so that I could start all over again. I really love the hit and miss effort. It's more exciting even if at times it proves disastrous. I'm a gemini so perhaps thats why I like to change things all the time. The allotment gives me a little more ground to play with but I'm still not satisfied. Your garden design looks fantastic. Have you had any training in design or does it come naturally. I do agree however that you need some water in the garden if only to have somewhere to plant your iris.lol

nah! no one needs training in design! i've been watching gardening programs for years and seen other people's gardens etc. i mean this isn't my drem garden because it's pretty small and i'm very restricted with money. so i've had to come up with something that'll give some instant impact to the overall garden and then something i can work on to perfection over the next few years :)

and yea! i've just been diggin for my pond today lol. it's really small but that's good because i don't want some big old thing plunked into my tiny garden. just something to enhace it a little.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 12:36:47 »
i think "vision" is all you need and you have it in abundence !   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 23:02:01 »
i think "vision" is all you need and you have it in abundence !   ;D

you know the weirdest thing is that i go out to the garden and try to think about what to put where etc but i can never come up with anything i like. i dream about my garden pretty much every night and come up with things there that i just couldn't imagine thinking of when i was concious. i then wake up and surprisingly still remember most of the stuff so when i have a few minutes at work....i draw it out and see if it works.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 21:24:21 »
:) Your plans look very professional. I wouldn't go with a Pampas though. I love the shape of them but I had two. They grew far too big. Leaves were very sharp when trying to cut it back. If you walked past it and accidentally touched your clothes against it, they clicked. Very cringy. Now then, getting rid of the beasts??? that was so hard. Cut it back, tried burning the heart of it, dug at it with a spade, sawed it with a handsaw, god it took an age.  My husband had to come to the rescue with what I can only describe as brute force.There are lots of other pleasant shaped structural plants that are less invasive. Good luck anyway.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 22:38:29 »
Had you thought of putting a fruit tree there?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 00:24:29 »
!!! would people stop bad mouthing pampas? is there anyone in this world that still likes them or did they all die back in the 80s?

seriously...i think they're stunning and i've alsways wanted one.

i did originally want to put a tree there rob. either an acer/lilac/or fruit tree but they all cost more than i have to spend. and the fact that this is a spot right against a conifer fence. i bought the pink pampas for 1.89 at a garden centre and hopefully in a couple of years it'll be really tall and giving me plumes right into winter.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 09:35:14 »
perhaps plant it with the root in a bucket or similar to restrict the roots ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 09:45:03 »
I like Pampas too, in its place. It's great where there's room for it to develop without getting in anyone's way, but I do wonder about it in small gardens. Still, try it and see.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 10:18:23 »
I like Pampas too, in its place. It's great where there's room for it to develop without getting in anyone's way, but I do wonder about it in small gardens. Still, try it and see.

yea...i'm actually really pleased about the idea that it can't be killed even if someone wanted to. In a couple of years time i plan to leave this house and leave some....fairly low maintenance plants for my family to look after.....and knowing them they'll probably think it's over grown grass and try to chop it down.

and besides...my cherry tree seems to have been suffering from canker for atleast the last 2 years...so that'll probably fall apart soon. I'll plant a nice edible fruit tree there i think.

And mrskp...yea i've dug in one of those metal edging things all around it about 6 inches deep....hopefully that should keep it spreading too much till next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal