Author Topic: Plans for my garden...  (Read 7040 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Plans for my garden...
« on: September 28, 2006, 14:50:24 »
This is the main plan...which may obviously change...and some bits i haven't really decided what to do with yet...

This is view from behind just to give a rough scale of things and how they work out:

This is a bit more details of the raised beds. I haven't really drawn many individual plants....just to give a rough idea of what sort of colours i want etc...

what do you think?

the main reason i drew these is really for something for me to work towards. because since may i've just been sowing stuff...and then putting them in the ground where i had space and it's all looking a bit random.

have any of you guys drawn out any plans in your head or paper?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 14:56:32 by wahaj »

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Plans for my garden...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 15:52:25 »
Wow, that looks brilliant, looks like you should take up garden design!   :)  T.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 16:14:58 »
HI

Yep that looks ace.

I would only make 1 alteration ( and thats because i am a little obsessed )

I would replace the tall grass in the second picture with either a tree peony or a fruit tree :-)

L

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 17:53:46 »
HI

Yep that looks ace.

I would only make 1 alteration ( and thats because i am a little obsessed )

I would replace the tall grass in the second picture with either a tree peony or a fruit tree :-)

L

yea i did thin about that because i originally wanted to go with a lilac tree or maybe a magnolia....but because the garden is already so sheltered....due to a hedge all the way round and a huge cherry tree...i don't want to add anything that willl impose too much shade over the garden. with the pampas...it's very low growing till it flowers and even then they're very translucent.

is there anything i can use that might not impose to much shade instead of the pampas?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 21:27:38 »
There are better grasses than Pampas grass, some of the Miscanthus are much lighter and airier and have better flowering colour.
Gardening is the great leveller.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 21:32:45 »
Beautiful picture - looks like a design for a theatre set...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 22:04:47 »
erm.............. and where exactly are the carrots going ???   ::)

JOKE! 

can we all come to the opening ?

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 22:54:27 »
Beautiful picture - looks like a design for a theatre set...

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 22:55:08 »
erm.............. and where exactly are the carrots going ???   ::)

JOKE! 

can we all come to the opening ?

;D

oh they'll probs go in the back yard outside the greenhouse. because i do plant on growing them!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 22:56:57 »
is this just the front garden then !   :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 23:28:30 »
is this just the front garden then !   :o

yea lol. but the back garden is smaller than the front garden.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 23:38:02 »
cheese, if i had a front garden like that it would get nicked !!

:D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 00:23:30 »
Hi

Other than alternative grasses i could recomend something like bamboo which would give you some nice sound or Alternativly what about a water feature???

Something like this http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=25 can be acheived cheaply

Pop a large contaner to hold the pump and water inside your raised bed.

Add some metal sheeting that does not quite cover the hole so the water can spill over and create your upright structure by getting hold of squares of glass on top of each other cut a hole in the middle of each and drop a pipe in to connect it to the pump below.  You will need to think about using a sealent to hold them in place and stop them getting loose in high wind.

You can then plant bamboo behind it???

L

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 16:15:45 »
cheese, if i had a front garden like that it would get nicked !!

:D

lol. yes i am getting a metal gate put in aswell. i as "i am"....but it's one of my...wishes lol.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 16:16:30 »
Hi

Other than alternative grasses i could recomend something like bamboo which would give you some nice sound or Alternativly what about a water feature???

Something like this http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=25 can be acheived cheaply

Pop a large contaner to hold the pump and water inside your raised bed.

Add some metal sheeting that does not quite cover the hole so the water can spill over and create your upright structure by getting hold of squares of glass on top of each other cut a hole in the middle of each and drop a pipe in to connect it to the pump below.  You will need to think about using a sealent to hold them in place and stop them getting loose in high wind.

You can then plant bamboo behind it???

L

yea! that sounds kewl. i've got one of those tiny variegated bamboos...so i do like them.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 09:56:03 »
How about "Heavenly Bamboo" - Nadina Domestica? It isn't actually a bamboo...

"An interesting medium-sized shrub, sometimes used in the manufacture of chop-sticks, looking superficially just like a Bamboo with long, erect, unbranched stems. In June and July it bears large, attractive panicles of white flowers followed by red berries. Hardy in all but the coldest districts."

Search for Nadina Domestica on Google Images for pictures

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 22:21:37 »
How about "Heavenly Bamboo" - Nadina Domestica? It isn't actually a bamboo...

"An interesting medium-sized shrub, sometimes used in the manufacture of chop-sticks, looking superficially just like a Bamboo with long, erect, unbranched stems. In June and July it bears large, attractive panicles of white flowers followed by red berries. Hardy in all but the coldest districts."

Search for Nadina Domestica on Google Images for pictures

ooh that looks nice.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 22:49:49 »
As your patio doors are to the left and I expect that is where you will sit on the patio. I feel you are in danger of not seeing a lot of your garden. Ideally you should have your main point of interest/focal point from where you would normally look at the garden. Have a try at moving your design diagonally and try not to split your garden in two.

Do not spoil it all with a washing line, get a retractable one that dissapears whe not in use.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 22:54:51 »
As your patio doors are to the left and I expect that is where you will sit on the patio. I feel you are in danger of not seeing a lot of your garden. Ideally you should have your main point of interest/focal point from where you would normally look at the garden. Have a try at moving your design diagonally and try not to split your garden in two.

Do not spoil it all with a washing line, get a retractable one that dissapears whe not in use.

oh um....i havent got a washing line in there.

and on the last pic you might be able to see the bench...it's in front of the water feature. i don't use any furniture on the patio. it's a very busy area where everyone walks in an out of and it would block the way really.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 23:12:08 »
I was only assuming the line and seating. Most people forget about the washing.

Nice garden, If you are like me and have been planting in availiable spaces try and remember which plants done well. Try and get them as near as they were when you replant. Which direction does the garden face? and does it get hot. The reason I ask is that because of the hot weather that is predicted to get warmer, go for more drough resistant plants, and make sure your water does not discolour with too much sunlight.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal