Author Topic: Squashs have taken over  (Read 3774 times)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Squashs have taken over
« on: October 15, 2006, 18:05:49 »
The last of my squashes and pumpkins have been harvested and as you see from the picture they have taken over the floor in my spare bedroom.

The picture shows pumpkins, butternut, harlequin and crown prince squashes.

Thomas

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Squashs have taken over
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 18:16:10 »
oo what a fabulous sight thomasb! hope you're well chuffed with that lot :o
you've done so well with the crown prince, how many plants were they from?
they do look lovely there, note to Changing Rooms, the ultimate accessory is a matful of squash ::) ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 18:48:23 »
Very good therapy, rolling on them?

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Re: Squashes have taken over
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 19:38:05 »
Supersprout,
The crown prince squashes were from 3 plants. I had a total of 9 squashes from the 3 plants.

Thomas

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 20:02:48 »
:o good value then tb, especially at that size - you've made me think more CP might be a good idea next year (you can never have too many squash eh) :D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 20:50:57 »
SS -- two more good things about Crown Prince:

first, it tastes great...

second, when I grew it last year it was the only pumpkin variety not to get nicked in a spate of pre-Halloween thievery... Now we'll never be sure whether the oiks that took the others just targeted the classic orange fellas, or whether they just didn't spot the CPs. Well, they are the ultimate in camouflage pumpkin!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 18:24:29 »
and they keep virtually forever...
 ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 20:29:50 »
 ??? I am getting my allotment in april and want to grow some Butternut squashes. How easy are they to grow????

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 21:38:49 »
providing they get the best growing conditions, they're o.k, we got 7 off 2 plants this year and it was a funny year up here :P

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 20:03:47 »
Superb collection - has inpsired me to look at catalogues and plan for next year

growgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 16:16:12 »
Happy halloween  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 17:54:30 »
Butternut squash is OK provided you get it off to a good start.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 18:23:07 »
Thanks Robert,

What do you mean by getting it off to a good start? When should I plant them. Can I grow them from seeds from a butternut squash from the supermarket? I am a complete novice, as I think you will have guessed!!!! :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 20:20:03 »
we managed to grow 3 plants, from new seed from kings, planted them in peat pots so no root disturbance, in a propagator, then in to the cool greenhouse, in to tyres filled with compost over a manure pit, covered over with fleece
we got 7 so I don't think that's bad  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 01:42:24 »
You probably could grow them from saved seed, though it can't be guaranteed to come true. Buying some would ensure that you actually did get butternut squash. Keep them warm and moist through spring, so they're well grown by planting out time. The mistake I made with a lot of my squashes this year was to put them under cloches with the ends open, and they were too cold, so they didn't get off to the flying start they really need. Result was, I only got one squash.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:21 »
if you're interested, more ways to get one squash ;)
Sow the first lot too early :-[ leave the next lot to dry out in their modules :'( sow the third lot in July ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 10:22:20 »
Determination is what I like to see!

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 10:25:28 »
Hi Cacran

I always save my own seed, but I think they cross pollinate rather easily.
Three years ago I grew butternut, small white squash (pattison) and the orange pumpkins with the Japanese name. The crop was enormous.

Last year my crop from self saved seed was again very large, but none of the varieties came back. What I got were about 15 unribbed round pumpkins with a diameter of 40-60 cm and the color of butternuts.

This year my 5 plants (self saved seeds) gave me again 10 of these large pumpkins but their color was a bit more orangey than last year.  I also got 5 Japanese named orange pumpkins, normal size, and a darkgreen tubular one (marrow?) of about 60 cm long. Must have been a cross with a courgette, I suppose.

I like these surprises and as long as they all taste OK and can be kept for a long time after curing. But if you want to know beforehand what you are getting, it is better to buy seeds. And pumpkins from the supermarket can be sterile. In the Netherlands you cannot even rely on pumpkins from the organic food shops.

Btw I sow my seeds in pots over a radiator behind glass. I start end of february and keep them warm till the end of March. Then I slowly put them on the floor behind glass, harden them off and plant them after the chance of frost is gone. In the Netherlands thats the second week of May. By then they are rather sturdy plants with at least 2 normal leaves.

Good luck

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 12:35:55 »
they cross-pollinate like mad. Most of my West Indian pumpkins, for instance, were pumpkins, though they varied in shape and colour. But I had one much smaller, flatter, heavily ribbed green squash.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 17:39:08 »
thanks for all the replies. I Kind of like the idea of getting some surprises. I did not even know that could happen. thought if the seeds came from a Butternut squash, that is what I got, if I was lucky to get anything. Hey there's a lot more to this growing veg than meets the eye!!!LOL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal