Author Topic: Supports for peas  (Read 3876 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Supports for peas
« on: April 11, 2004, 18:34:31 »
I need some guidance on this. Just what is the best support system for growing peas?  I have seen a lot of conflicting info on this. Some say pea sticks others say netting. I know idealy pea sticks are 'best' but not everyone has access to such material or if so enough of it. So OK I'll rephase my original query. What support apart from pea sticks is the best to grow peas on?

Thanks

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Supports for peas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 22:10:39 »
In the past I have used that rigid plastic coated chicken wire stretched very tightly between uprights.  Then another time I got hold of some of that bright orange mesh type plastic that you see on building sites and the like, and did a similar thing between uprights.  On the lottie, I am able to get hold of lashings of scrub prunings as they have been around the common hedge cutting and tree trimming and stuff, so will be using them.  I found the wire okay, but still lots of peas ended up 'face down' in the mud and I had to entice them up, not a problem with the scrub trimmings as there are plenty of branches to make a great mini mesh.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 23:18:43 »
For "short" peas, I use twigs - tomorrow's job is going round the demolition site next door, and cutting a stock of pea sticks out of the hedge - enough to last me for years!  :) :) :)

For tall peas (Alderman - 5-6 feet tall) I just use long canes as A frames, with twine strung between them every 12 inches.  It leans, wobbles, and looks thoroughly dangerous --- but it's worked so far!

As for netting, I'd hesitate.  Perhaps only use something a LOT tougher than the peas like chicken wire.  I did use what the manufacturers described as "pea netting" one year - but never, ever again.  It was a real pain to unroll, and straighten out, worse to string up reasonably straight - but I could have lived with that.  

But at the end of the season, trying to extract the plants from the netting to put on the compost heap was truly a nightmare ----- either chuck the whole lot on to the heap (and then you're digging out bits of net for years afterwards), or throw the lot away (which really rankled!).

All best, Gavin

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:15:34 »
I use an old piece of plastic fencing held up by a bamboo cane at each end and one in the middle.  Bit Heath-Robinson but easy and does the job.
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 16:23:58 »
At a pinch you can use canes and string(garden twine). But remember to start from the top and work down-if you go the other way you will loose all the tension as you work up.

Stephan

jethro

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 16:28:14 »
I use scaffold tubes and fishing line stretched across at varying heights seems to work for me. And the cleaning is simple just pull along the line  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 16:28:46 by jethro »

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 17:51:15 »
We settled for the chicken wire stapled to posts at each end and canes slotted thru at intervals and pushed into ground.  At end of season I just roll them up and put behind compost bins until next season.

As with everything, almost everyone on our site has different  methods, purists with "twigs", wonderful contraptions with sticks and strings but in the end the only thing that matters  is that after all our efforts to support the plants the pea moth can still come along and it's all been for nothing!

Ony way we've found to safeguard the peas, bar spraying, is to cover with fleece - which I found easier to attach to the chicken wire (clothespegs).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 17:52:39 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 18:35:20 »
I've tried most methods in the past but now stick rigidly to 2" dia x 3ft chicken wire with cane supports every 6ft,(I put this in place before I sow a row 3" each side of the wire) when the plants reach 9" high I run a length of twine along to pull them into the wire, repeating at 18" and 27", its never failed ,ok so it takes all of 5 mins to tie them in, but it saves fiddling around with sticks and the peas are so easy to pick.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 20:09:29 »
'Smallies' I use sticks from tree and bush prunings. 6' peas have 4" wire mesh fencing strung between posts. I've tried chicken wire but the size of the mesh makes it difficult to extract the end product. String has the same effect, but the fishing line....now, I can see something in that, it should be pretty easy to 'pull/slide' the line cleanly away from the haulm. Might give that one a go.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 11:50:35 »
Gavin Wrote:

"For tall peas (Alderman - 5-6 feet tall) I just use long canes as A frames, with twine strung between them every 12 inches.  It leans, wobbles, and looks thoroughly dangerous --- but it's worked so far!"

I had thought of trying this actualy, I take it the twine is tied horizontaly between the canes to make a net effect?

As I said pea sticks are a problem. I always have plenty of shrub prunings in spring but never any of the right type (not branched/twiggy enough). I have tried strong netting before with a degree of sucess. I still had to tie the plant in to it though!

Thanks for replies. Keep it coming. All advice on this subject welcome  :)

PS - I tried last year a couple of old trelis panels, which would have worked fine if the peas had germinated and grown like they are supposed to!

PPS Is it best to plant/ sow  the peas before or after constructing the support? it strikes me that some of the methods would make it difficult to plant more than a single row each side.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 11:57:50 by RichardF »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 12:03:56 »
Cor, I didn't know you could get peas that grew that tall!  Sheltered pea life I have led.  So I guess you get lots and lots of peas.....hmmm...NO...now I wanna buy more seeds!  :o

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 12:14:04 »
Cor, I didn't know you could get peas that grew that tall!  Sheltered pea life I have led.  So I guess you get lots and lots of peas.....hmmm...NO...now I wanna buy more seeds!  :o

No EJ you cant get Peas as tall as you imagine. I had two 3'x5' panels which i laid ON THEIR SIDE and lashed together to form an 'A' frame. As I said would've worked if the peas had actualy GROWN!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 12:27:30 »
But Gavin and Ken quote peas that are 5 to 6 foot tall...or am I reading that wrong?  ( and I do understand that they mean the plants...not the peas ;D)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 12:37:09 »
Yes that`s correct EJ-try Alderman as mentioned above.  And do be sure to grow Mange Tout-Carouby de Maussane-they grow to around 5/6ft as well.

Stephan.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 13:23:46 »
this site is great for learning something new.  I didn't know of these tall growing varieties so will certainly give them a try next season, means I can save a bit more space.

You're right RichardF I do basically just get one row each side tho I plant this "row" in a zigzag  so I get more plants than a single row - I think, and I do usually ahve to tie them on to start with but they cling to each other and wire after that.  good growing!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 14:19:29 »
Nuts!  I really didn't wanna buy any more seeds, but 6 foot pea plants!  And I wasn't going to grow mange tout....do I still have time?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 14:58:16 »
Nope, not too late. And this is just one method of support for the heavier crops.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal