Author Topic: 120 Ready  (Read 3755 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
120 Ready
« on: April 10, 2004, 17:03:54 »
Toms that is ready for the first `posh` car boot of the season on Monday. I am now going to rehearse my false smile for Jenny`s Aunt tomorrow and for any customer silly enough to ask if I grow `Moneymaker` ;D ;D

Happy Easter all

Stephan

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:120 Ready
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 17:26:13 »
Best of luck, Cleo.  Hope the day goes well.  Just one thing ..... if that many people ask if you grow moneymaker maybe, just maybe......... if you did you would make a few more bobs  ;) :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 17:31:50 »
I noticed, in a photo, that at least one of our co-lotterers does! = Tim
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 17:32:22 by tim »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 09:07:03 »
Emm - excuse me -  what's wrong with Moneymaker, I am growing them this year :-\ :)  Is there something I should know ???

Second thoughts - sorry - stupid me, I suppose it's just the punters trying to be clever ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:10:22 by Patricia S. »
Happy gardening all...........Pat

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 09:17:49 »
I'm a fan of reliable old Moneymaker - it is always in there with my faves like Sun Belle and Brandywine ... and then there are the more obscure varieties (to the UK anyway) like Big Mama and Big Beef.  IMO it still tastes better than any shop bought variety!

Tried to get some Black Russian but the supplier had sold out - I'm on the waiting list....

What varieties do you grow Stephan?
AC x
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 12:50:05 »
Hi AC

Far too many to list-it`s over 60 last count. I have a few Black Russian seeds spare if you would like-just send me a message,and if you like Brandywine then I reckon you will like `Caspian Pink` as well-I`m pretty sure if have some of them spare as well.

Stephan.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 17:48:56 »
Thank you Stephan!  Clearly Moneymaker isn't a favourite of yours, do tell what varieties you enjoy!  I grow Sun Belle at the allotment just so that I can eat it warm off the vine when I get a bit peckish - they never make it home for the pot!
AC x

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 19:16:16 »
I'd Agree with stephan about moneymaker toms. The fruits are not the best tasting.  Grew them last year, but not this.

However if they are popular with other people then why not grow a few for sale.  Clearly there is a demand at Stephans carboot for this variety.

PS to Stephan. Do you just sell toms at the car boot or do you sell other things as well. Do you have any tips for those thinking ( like me) of selling plants at a car boot?

Regards

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 06:32:21 »
Well. how did you get on yesterday Stephan?  Did all the plants go. Hope that you made a few bob anyway.  
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 16:42:18 »
hi all

It was today but for `domestic` reasons I did not go. It has got completely out of hand and I was spending too much time worrying about tomato plants at the expense of the garden and even my wife.

I did have my sign out today but not one customer-never mind though as the grass got cut, seeds got sown and WE enjoyed our garden.

PS-anyone want a couple of hundred plants?(discount to lottie friends ;)

Stephan.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 16:53:35 »
For Richard

Some basic rules for car boots;

Know the area-what do people want?

Do not try to compete in areas where you cannot offer `better`

Ensure your plants `look good`-no half potting or green slime on the top.

Just because it is a `car boot` and mostly there is some right old tat on sale it`s your pitch and you set the standard-charge a decent price,be fair but don`t think you have to be `cheap`-good value yes.

You will get plenty of folk who want to chat about plants-some will be genuine and others will be time wasters-spotting the difference comes with a little experience.

Oh and do not forget to take a load of change-you can miss a sale if they `will have to come back`.

Hope that helps-and yes I usually had a variety of stuff for sale.

Stephan.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 19:22:57 »
Stephan - have you tried selling on eBay?  I used to do car boots but found them such a chore.
AC

PS - Glad you had a chance to enjoy your own space!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 12:06:48 »
Thanks Stephan. Some good tips there.

With reference to E Bay, I have looked into this too, but been a bit daunted when it comes to live plants - how to you get them to the sucessful bidder safely?  I suppose you have to go and buy special packaging first (like the nurseries use). Which of course eats into any profit you make from the sale.

I suppose the other way would be to only sell to folks who you can reasonably deliver in person to. :-\

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 17:32:36 »
Don't forget that on eBay the buyer pays for p+p not the seller!  I use stock boxes from Viking and shredded paper for packing.  The downside - you are competing on price with the rest of the country, not just local sellers.....
AC

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 22:06:13 »
It won't work for me, can't get a car boot on my bicycle.
Good luck Stephan.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004, 15:43:56 »
Hi Ina - you'll have to get a trailer on there!!
Happy pedalling
AC x

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 18:03:52 »
I seriously looked into getting a trailer cart but the bicycle shed at home is too small. I did the next best thing and ordered a brand new transport bike with a big frame on the front that fits a crate. Just 30 minutes ago I got a call from the shop that the bike is in..... hurrah!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 18:46:59 »
I know you've got what you wanted but, as I said long ago - a trailer? So - if no room for that, a tricycle with a BOOT? So much more stable - even though your roads are on the flat. Too late, I know!! = tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 21:07:21 »
A tricycle? No way! I rode one once, the type to take a handicapped person in a special seat with you. When I wanted to make the first turn I ended up going straight into the bushes, the handicapped kid I had with me thought it was great fun. I realized that you don't use your balance at all to make turns on those, very awkward but I guess one gets used to it. No, much to wide for me and also takes up too much room. Can't wait to pick up my new bike but have to wait for my next day off.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 16:48:33 »
I'd have to have a trike - or a trailer as stabilisers - I can't ride a bike!  Hopeless....
AC x

PS Did rather fancy one of those Harley trikes for trips to the allotment....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal