Author Topic: Mail Order Fruit Plants  (Read 2990 times)

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
Mail Order Fruit Plants
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:22:13 »
Hi to you all. This is not an advert but if any of you out there are thinking of buying any fruit plants this Autumn please check out our new online store.
www.blackmoor.co.uk we have a full range of top quality fruit plants. If you are thinking of ordering then check to see if anyone else on your site needs any fruit plants. If you combine all orders together there is only one delivery charge to pay.
Regards
Jon

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Mail Order Fruit Plants
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:43:51 »
Nice website Jon, added to my favourites - always good to find another source of supply :)

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:52:40 »
Supersprout
Pleasure, if you grow any fruit we do send out by email a monthly newsletter that is not hard sell but offers advice on what to do for the month in the fruit garden. You can sign up for the newsletter from the site.
Regards
Jon

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:14:03 »
Added to faves and signed up Jon.  The c/c is twitching already.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

dave

• Not So New ...
  • born-again peasant
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:18:48 »
How, exactly, is it not an advertisement?

Hope you at least donate something to the site.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:22:14 »
Dave
Not sure how I can donate but I am offering a service that I hope many of your members find useful. I have been growing fruit for 23 years and if I can offer any advice or share some of my knowledge of fruit growing then more than happy to help.
Regards
Jon

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:51:46 »
Contact Dan; I don't know what it would cost to put an ad on the site, but it would be more relevant than some of the stuff I see!

You've got a nice selection there, incidentally.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:08:46 »
lol @ Dave.  Exactly what I thought, but faint heart never won any business eh ?

If you don't mind Jon, I'm preparing a list of questions !

Would you prefer to be contacted on here (to share the info with everyone else) or through your site ?

And as SS said, never hurts to find another supplier.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:14:03 »
MrsKp
I dont mind if you contact me direct or if it is on here. If its direct you might get a slightly quicker responce but I really do not mind either way.
Jon

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 10:25:15 »
Thanks Jon, I'll get scribbling.

;D

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 10:32:23 »
Look forward to your questions
Jon

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 11:31:01 »
please share them on here KP - I am an avid fruit grower and would love to read  :)

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:52:59 »
I would like to grow a crab apple so I can make jelly next year.  Can you advise a good one please?

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 13:07:17 »
The best crab apple variety for making jelly is without a doubt John Downie - Perhaps the best fruiting crab apple. White flowers in April followed by large conical bright orange-red fruits. A very refreshing flavour. Ideal for jelly. Highly recommended.
This link will show you the fruits from our site
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?osCsid=284f8e5aa0db8ce70e77c7f2b85d0057&osCsid=284f8e5aa0db8ce70e77c7f2b85d0057&cPath=135
Regards
Jon

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 13:14:50 »
Thanks for that.  How long would I have to wait for fruit if I bought one of those?  Can they be trimmed to make a hedge?  So many questions!!!  I have mature apple trees in the garden and just fancy something different.  At the planning stage for a new hedge/fence and thinking of crab apple and damsons so that the hedge is productive - is this realistic?

Cheers, and happy gardening,
Shirley

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 13:21:56 »
What's your opinion of Charles Ross apples? I have a small tree, and I'm beginning to think it may have been a mistake. The apples are a nice size, sweet, and it's very prolific, which is useful while the trees are small, but the texture is quite soggy compared to my other varieties. I can see it coming out one of these days.

Have you had any problems with plums in the drought? Most of my trees have been fine - my plot's on very low-lying land by a stream - but a Victoria dropped all its leaves and nearly died; I still don't know whether it's going to pull through.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 13:28:30 »
I have a Charles Ross, yes prolific, tend to use it mainly for cooking with, makes great apple sauce

No problems with plums this year - early variety Opal, gorgeous, huge amounts but the drought and weight of plums on my Marjories Seedling nearly brought the tree out of the gound

damsons more than I could cope with

I have 2 gages that are supposed to be on dwarf stock but they are huge and hardly produce and also a crab apple (can't remember name, possibly princess, a very dark coloured variety) is a lovely shape, but is now 4 years old and still not producing much - ho hum

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 13:38:15 »
Jon,

We fancy a Damson tree but have been told they're not very controllable and we dont have a lot of space. What do reckon?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 14:10:58 »
My Cambridge Gage is the strongest-growing of my trees, but it crops well. I'll try the Charles Ross for cooking, though I didn't buy it for that.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 15:08:23 »
The Crab apples (John Downie) is fruiting now on the Nursery as a 2 year old tree. So they do come into cropping early.
As for growing them as a hedge, if more like an upright cordon then this would be fine. They use some crab Apple varieties in orchards and these are just interplanted between the main trees and prunned really hard as its just the blossom thats required for the pollination. They still crop well !!!.

Jon

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal