Author Topic: Mail Order Fruit Plants  (Read 2988 times)

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
Re: Mail Order Fruit Plants
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 15:15:00 »
Barnowl

If you are short of space then make sure that you plant the Damson on the Pixy rootstock and not the St Julien.
The tree on Pixy stock will grow to around 3 Metres when mature.

Jon

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 15:20:31 »
Robert

Charless Ross would not be my choice for flavour, loads of better varieties available now. It is mainly grown for the size, shape and colour (a good choice if you just wish to show it, could get you a few prizes).
The flavour is sweet and juicy at first but like you say becomes dry and flavourless.
It is a dual variety both dessert and cullinary and does do well on chalky soils.
Regards
Jon

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 16:16:18 »
Jon, I'm thinking Blueberry Sunshine Blue.

If delivery isn't until January, is that the ideal to plant out then (again it will be in a pot).

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 16:23:40 »
MrsKP

The Blueberries are all ready to be shipped now. The Sunshine Blue is a new variety that I have had at home in my garden now for 4 years in a pot and is more than happy. Had a great crop from it this year.
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=367

Value for money for me would be the smaller 1 Litre size

Jon

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 16:30:30 »
Oh !  it states on the page won't be in stock until January.  Hmm, thanks Jon, am looking on other pages now too lol.

This is what comes from being stuck at home sick.  Far too easy to be lured.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 16:42:21 »
I have just ammended the date as they are in stock and can be sent out straight away.
Jon

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 16:53:58 »
You have mail lol.

;D

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 16:55:43 »
MrsKP
Happy to welcome all new customers to Blackmoor
Jon

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 17:32:33 »
Aquick question Jon... are the ornamental elderberries as useful as the common ones. We make elderflower cordial from a neighbours on the allotments, would like my own supply but couldn't face planting an elder!!!
 ;D

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 18:07:42 »
Saddad
I have to say that I do not know anything about the elderberry so could not advice, sorry. I am sure someone out there will be able to help.
Jon

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 18:39:33 »
The best crab apple variety for making jelly is without a doubt John Downie - Perhaps the best fruiting crab apple. White flowers in April followed by large conical bright orange-red fruits. A very refreshing flavour. Ideal for jelly. Highly recommended.

hmm, I'd like a crab apple for jelly too - Jon, would this tree need to be planted in the ground, or in a pot.  What sort of size will it grow to ?

Also v tempted by the blueberries ... what size pot should the 1l plant be planted into ?  I probably won't be able to water it every day, so would want to go larger rather than smaller to avoid drying out.

Great idea btw - its like putting candy in front of a baby !
Thanks, mc

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 19:16:21 »
Mc
If grown in a container it would need planting into around a half barrel size. It should not get too much taller than around 2-3 metres. If grown in the ground it will be around 3-4 metres.
The Blueberries 1 Litre would need to go into a 3-5 litre for 12 months then into 10-12 litre the following season.
Jon

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 20:12:09 »
Would half a barrel be big enough for a fig? One last question; I have a couple of pear trees that haven't grown at all, and I've discovered that it's due to weak root systems. Would it work to cut them back drastically, or do I need to replace them?

oldredeyes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 20:27:57 »
Just a quick note to say that I bought some blueberry plants and a fig tree from Blackmoor earlier this year and was very impressed with the service and the plants. In fact my wife ate the last fig off the tree just tonight! We only had three figs off it but there are dozens of "baby" figs at the moment.

All the blueberries have flourished, particularly Bluecrop - the Chandler berries were huge.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 20:54:02 »
Robert

I half barrel will do for the fig for a few years yes. The root restriction makes them crop.
For the Pears, how come the root system is week ? Prunning it hard back this winter will help. Support the tree to make sure that you have no wind rock. Feed well in the Spring and see what happens.
If by the end of the Summer it still is not growing well then I think its time to replace.
Jon

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 07:47:15 »
Thanks. They were trees which I bought at a time when I didn't know a lot about fruit, and they never had strong roots. But one I lifted to investigate is growing new ones so I don't think it's hopeless. I'll cut them well back and see.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 08:51:38 »
Robert

Good Luck
Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal