Author Topic: When to rotivate a new plot  (Read 15232 times)

Little Weed

• Not So New ...
When to rotivate a new plot
« on: September 26, 2006, 15:14:48 »
We took over a small but long neglected (4 years uncultivated) plot last weekend and started by sorting the hedge out (a small wood!) We now need to let the hawthorn and ash dry out so we can have a bonfire. I'm just concerned that if we wait till Bonfire Night (which would make sense for the children) it might be too late in the year to rotivate afterwards - would it? (The earliest we'd be allowed to have a bonfire is nearly 3 weeks time anyway.) And after we've rotivated, do we dig it? Cover it? Just leave it till Spring and dig then? Manure it? Or what ??? All help appreciated.

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: When to rotivate a new plot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 15:23:11 »
Hi, I would try not to rotivate it if I were you. Just dig it a bit at a time, if you can get there every day twenty minutes will cover the ground faster than you think, and try to get out as many weeds as possible. As you go along test it's Ph value here and there to see if it needs lime. If it does add it this Autumn. Don't cover it let the winter rain and frost get at it.
In the spring dig it again, once again removing as many weeds as possible and add manure to those areas where you are going to grow crops that need or like it. Hope that helps a bit :), but you will get lots of other views I'm sure. ;)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 15:31:22 »
Lots of posts about this,

I'd say clear as much weed off the top as you can, compost / burn that. Then dig it and dig in manure as you go.. pull out and burn or bin nasty stuff like bind weed and couch grass as you dig it. Quite a lot of work but you have far less weeds next year...

I start digging late November / December.

Rotorvating will just chop up the weeds and make it a pain to get rid of them, plus it does'nt actually turn the soil over - just sort of breaks it up and mixes it about.

Covering it is a good way to clear the weed growth to start with if your lazy, but it will mean all the weed seeds will go back into your soil, id still dig it once it cleared rather the rotorvating for the reason above.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 15:32:20 »
Hi little weed :)
If you click the wiki button fifth from the right you'll arrive at the A4a 'cyclopaedia - there's some good advice written by Forum members on 'clearing a new plot' to add to larkspur's and keef's.
To answer the title question - never, IMO! :o
I'm sure you'll get loads of advice, but the important thing is to cultivate in the way that suits YOU best so you get food and fun too :D
Welcome to the forum and happy gardening ;D ;D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 15:32:48 »
Hi Little Weed,

I tend to agree with Larkspur. From personal experience I'd say that if it's been uncultivated for 4 years, it's bound to be covered in couch grass and/or bindweed>:( >:( Rotivating it will chop the roots of these into a million bits, all of which will merrily re-grow!! Hand digging, although hard work, is the best way to get the roots out.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 15:33:54 »
Nuts! Everyone else beat me to the posting button!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 15:34:12 »
I think we all agree  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 15:41:03 »
Hello Little Weed

Have to agree with the others on this .. if you rotovate one weed can turn into 1000's  :o  So take it slow, little by little does it.   ;D

You could alway try green manures for the over winter bit, that would smother most annuals and then just dig it all in  - in the spirng  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 15:47:23 »
Rotovate if you have couch grass and like couch grass beer (think there was a posting about this weed beer in the drinks forum)  :o

It will be a slow process- there are no easy answers.

Good luck.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 16:18:39 »
I sympathise, there's really nothing for it but to dig. You've got to get all those weed roots out, not cut them up and plant them back in again. The wife and I cleared our plot  (5 rods) in about 30 hours over 2 months planting as we went.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 16:49:47 »
I sympathise, there's really nothing for it but to dig.

well, there IS a no-dig alternative - heavy mulch 8)
it's a matter of preference :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 17:17:45 »
I like the digging method myself... must have been a Leveller in an earlier life! But SSprouts Mulch Mania can be quite successful!
 8)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 17:24:42 »
If you rotorvate in the proper manor, using the correct technique it will save hours of back breaking digging but it is not a quick fix. Too many people try it once and are disapointed with the results thus perpetuating the myth that rotorvating makes a weed problem worse

PS. I've never seen an organic farmer digging fields with a spade ???

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 20:08:21 »
If you rotorvate in the proper manor, using the correct technique it will save hours of back breaking digging but it is not a quick fix. Too many people try it once and are disapointed with the results thus perpetuating the myth that rotorvating makes a weed problem worse

PS. I've never seen an organic farmer digging fields with a spade ???

No they use a plough... ::)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 00:12:00 »
surely you should only need to rotivate if your soil in compacted!???

I have not dug any of mine. I have just hand pulled weeds out - yes even the waist high ones and the pullling up seems to loosen and airate the soil!

I'm a big fan of pulling up and raking over and then hoeing as and when!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 07:26:41 »
No they use a plough
   Exactly ::)

Code: [Select]
I have just hand pulled weeds out   Please feel free to come and pull couch out of my Bedford clay ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 08:25:38 »
Curious to know how many people who disapprove of using a rotorvator have actually used one or are their views based on what they were told by others?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 08:52:18 »
I wouldn't want to be without my little Tiller, although it is useless on hard ground, so digging is the only answer. :(

All I will do is dig enough to loosen the weeds pull and compost, cover in Farm Yard Manure then go over with the tiller mixing in the muck then cover with lots of cardboard held down with string all ready for spring. 8)

My Daughter came with me to the plotty last week to harvest and her first words were, "Why is your plot looking so full of crops and others look so empty?" I said "I blame it on my Muck and Tiller" ;D 8)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 09:23:48 »
My friend Jim down the plot has a rotovator. He has back problems so can't dig much. He made his plot into raised beds. He piles strawy horse manure onto the beds then rotovates in the spring to mix it in. He has amazing crops (if he can remember what he has put where!). I think he glycophosphated the weeds when he started 3-4 years ago. He does pull weeds up these days.

Rotovating isn't a good idea where there are lots of perennial weeds - it will make the problem perennially worse - horsetail/dandelion/dock can regrow from miniscule pieces of root.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:37:11 »
No they use a plough
   Exactly ::)

Yes, a plough has quite a different effect than a rotorvator - turning the soil into the trench left by the ploughshare in front, bit like digging really.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal