Author Topic: toad lilies...what do you think of them?  (Read 2091 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
toad lilies...what do you think of them?
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:30:39 »
Hey,

There's an article about toad lilies in the garden news paper...and a little one about it this week in AG. i'm interested because the growing conditions mentioned are ideal for my garden...and they look pretty interesting.

what experiences have you guys had of them? yay or nay?

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: toad lilies...what do you think of them?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:04 »
I think they are fantastic but I am now on my second one as the slugs adore them! Mine is flowering despite having been almost hidden from sight behind other things.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:11:15 »
I think they are fantastic but I am now on my second one as the slugs adore them! Mine is flowering despite having been almost hidden from sight behind other things.

ahh ok. how big are the flowers? and how much foliage is there comparing to the plant itself? are they scented?

sorry i've tried to find info about it online but it seems like some elusive creature....

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 20:19:00 »
For some strange reason mine are not bothered by slugs.  The stems look like a lily with the usual leaves.  The flowers come on little stalks, about 6-8 per umbel (not sure if that is the right term) but it's a bit like a floribunda rose?  The flowers themselves are quite small about 5cm across but they are very attractive.  Sadly, they are not scented.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 21:15:28 »
For some strange reason mine are not bothered by slugs.  The stems look like a lily with the usual leaves.  The flowers come on little stalks, about 6-8 per umbel (not sure if that is the right term) but it's a bit like a floribunda rose?  The flowers themselves are quite small about 5cm across but they are very attractive.  Sadly, they are not scented.

G x

that's ok. but that sounds lovely. now i just need to see it in a garden centre. you know....i've never noticed them anywhere. i'll just have to keep an eye out for them.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 13:58:12 »

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 15:04:05 »
Just taken a piccie of mine: small yet beautifully formed!

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/beejaytee/Sep%202006/?action=view&current=Sep2006.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

that looks stunning! doesn't look like something that'd survive in the UK. and in shade aswell! well it's like the ideal plant for my garden.

thanks for the pic:)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 20:06:06 »
Broadleigh Bulbs do them http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/ . Check in the catalogue, which you can download as a PDF.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal