Author Topic: WI Ratatouille Chutney (for Jitterbug and other chutters fans!)  (Read 5886 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
2Ib tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1Ib spanish onions, chopped
1Ib courgettes, sliced thinly
1 large green pepper, sliced
1 large red pepper, sliced
1 aubergine, diced
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
half pint malt vinegar
12 oz granulated sugar
+++
Place toms, onions, courgettes, peppers, aubs and garlic in a large pan.  Add salt, cayenne, paprika and coriander.  Cover and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the juices run.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, uncover and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the vegs are soft but still recognisable as shapes, and most of the water from the toms has evaporated.
Add the vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Continue to cook for 1 hour or until the chutney is thick and there is no free vinegar on top.
Spoon while still hot into cooled, sterilised jars and seal with vinegar proof covers.  Store for 2 months to mature before eating.

This is taken exactly as printed from the WI Preserving book I have - so of course, tweek it as you see fit! 
Jitterbug, there are several collections of WI recipe books.  I have 4 collections - 16 books in total - everything from the perfect Christmas to breads, cakes and preserves.  They crop up from time to time in www.thebookpeople.co.uk, much cheaper than buying in a book shop!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: WI Ratatouille Chutney (for Jitterbug and other chutters fans!)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 22:20:13 »
Ooh thanks EJ - I'll go and print it off and off to the farm shop tomorrow to get all the ingredients to start filling ALL those bottles (56 of them). 

Hi Ho Hi Ho - its off to pickling I go !!

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 22:43:24 »
56 bottles!  Hells bells!!  I am only jealous!  I have been begging jars from the neighbours as I am all out, and have 3 huge marrows to jam, lots of courgettes and toms to chutney and lashings of blackberries to bottle!

When I made the WI chuts, I did add some chillis as my darling loves a little warmth to his chuts.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 09:00:05 »
Just a reminder.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:01:08 »
mmmm think I'll have to do this one!

I shall indeed vary it, though mostly because I like fine chunks, so will chop smaller.

Now all I have to do is find enough jars. I'm nearly out again, and it's almost green tomato chutney time here.
We've had four Smith days in the past week, on the trot, so I guess there's not long before the plants succumb to blight  :(

Meanwhile, I've about 8lb of ripe ones waiting for me to passata them! Argh!  ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 13:02:14 »
Each to their own - but this is ratatouille? Not your average mush stuff.

What's a Smith Day?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:19:42 by tim »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:56:10 »
Blight warnings are given out if there's been two consecutive days who have fulfilled the Smith criteria, which is explained nicely on
http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/content/bw-Smith.asp

I hope you can get to that - I registered as a grower (!) on the site, and I get an email if we get a Smith period. There were three on the trot last weekend  :( which means pretty much inevitable blight.

As I muttered elsewhere, I've even lost x kg of already-picked tomatoes I was hoping to turn into passata - and the plants outside weren't even showing a problem! Just shows the spores are present...

So much for my pickle!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:23:12 »
Oh, yes - I recall it relating to potatoes - hadn't connected with toms. Must do it!

We're just burning off our potato plot today. Luckily all toms are indoors.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 09:46:08 »
Tim you're so lucky - wish I could put my toms indoors - but then I have barely any garden to put a gh up in (and no way am I putting one at the plots - too many oiks about :()

Still, have so far 3l of passata, another trayful of yellow tomatoes which may or may not end up as chopped tomato sauce tonight, and an indeterminate number at the lottie depending on how bad the blight attack is. Still, not bad from about 3 quid of seed which will last another season even if I get nothing else (given I've already eaten loads!)

Hopefully tonight I'll get home a little earlier than 6.30pm so I can go up...

moonbells

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 23:54:09 »
Oooh Tim - you're such a tease putting that lovely picture in front of our noses.

DJ - Just a quick report to let you know that I made the WI Chutney on Saturday  with no further mishaps - got about 6 bottles out.  Also made the Beetroot and apple - Yummy.  Have also made the Curried Plum and Apple.  Will try and take some photo's as I see that Dan has found my attachment 'thingy' that I seemed to have lost.  Will post pics soon.

I wanted to make Jerry's green bean but after picking all the beans I could find only had 1 pound and I needed 3.  So I will have to visit the farm shop this week-end and see if I can get some really fresh ones.

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal