Author Topic: White Cucumbers  (Read 1262 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
White Cucumbers
« on: September 15, 2006, 20:39:39 »
Here they are, the thinner ones may be Boothby's Blond, the larger ones are White Wonder..

Picking about two a day from four plants in a cold greenhouse...
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: White Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 22:22:09 »
I grow mini white I think it was called - or words to that affect.  Bitter as hell!  However, I made Tims (Dehlias) sweet cucumber pickle with them, and they are delicious, so not all wasted.  Crystal apples (lemons) have been amazing this year, I haven't been able to keep up with them and am picking around 10 a week!  Can I save the seeds from those for next year??

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 22:56:30 »
If you haven't grown them near the other varieties... they tend to cross like squash... they are cheap enough to buy if you haven't isolated them this time but if you want to save seeds it is straight forward enough...
 ::)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:27:47 »
I had one of those bought at the Derby open day, and it was fab! Tempted to grow some myself next year, I've also had a huge crop of Crystal Apple, and they're still going!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:33:31 »
I must look into growing those next year.  Do you think they would be okay in pots and - cheeky I know - could you spare me a few seeds to try?   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:44:45 »
It would need to be a big pot Georgie... I'll have a look how many white wonder Seeds I still have, I didn't grow any in "isolation" but I have a stray in the frame....
 8)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:52:09 »
Oh, only if you can really spare it, saddad, I thought you said in another thread that you saved your own seeds? 

I grew Burpless Tasty Green in a 12" pot this year and I've had a fair number of cucumbers and it's now climbed well over 6'.  Would White Wonder/Boothby's Blond need a bigger pot than that?   :o

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:56:58 »
Yes we do save a lot of our own seeds but we would have to have grown just one var. to ensure no cross pollination and as you get a lot of seed from one cucumber you don't need to do that every year..
 ;D
We still have ten, can buy from Johnsons, could spare three which should be enough all I need now is an Addy...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:03:14 by saddad »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:12:48 »
Georgie, I think I have crystal apple seeds left so I will bung some in with your climbing frenchies!  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 16:21:41 »
Shucks, saddad, I couldn't possibly take any seeds from you if you only have 10 left.   But thanks so much for the offer.   ;D

EJ thats really kind but only if you don't need them.  In any event I only need a couple thanks.   :D

G x

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 17:30:00 »
crystal apple and crystal lemon, for me are the best ever cucs, grown so many this year in the g/h in pots, and they look so beautiful as well, well named

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 18:34:33 »
Will crystal apple be okay outside?

G x

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 19:00:48 »
If you start them off in a frame or some form of protection until it really warms up, about late june here, you will get a crop in all but the worst summers but they will go the extra mile for you if you can find space in an unheated greenhouse...
 ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 19:52:41 »
You know, I'm slowly going off this idea.  They need a huge pot (which I don't have room for) and would do better in a greenhouse (ditto).  Should I stick to Burpless tasty green?

G x

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 20:58:03 »
Want to try some of these next year. What's the difference between crystal apple and crystal lemon?
You been goofin' with the bees?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 22:12:20 »
the one's in sads photo are apples - they actually look like a pale green apple and believe it or not the lemons look like lemons  :) so they are smaller and quite lemon yellow, both are sweet and lovely and Georgie, they will do perfectly well in pots

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 23:26:26 »
None of mine I have posted this year look like Apple to me... OH did the planting out... white wonder (Johnsons) are most likely. Well worth a try slower than F1 green boys but worth the wait!
 ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 10:08:11 »
Okay, I'll give it a go then.   ;D

G x

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 17:58:30 »
Mine are outside Georgie and are doing their thing!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 19:38:52 »
Now convinced.   ;D

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal