Author Topic: Worth the wait...  (Read 1031 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Worth the wait...
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:14:41 »
Last night I had my first ever sweetcorn from the lottie and it was well worth a three year wait! 

For the past three years I have tried growing sweetcorn, and I have no problem with getting it to grow.  The problem is in the harvesting because up until this year the resident rat has beaten me to every single cob! Last year I tried painting the cobs with garlic and chilli in the hope that it would act as a deterrant, but it didn't work.  I'd almost decided to give up on them, but thought I'd give it one more try this year.  I'd read about the plastic bottle method of protecting the cobs, so thought I'd give it a go.  And so far it is working :-)

So I'd like to thank whoever suggested the plastic bottle method for sharing (sorry I can't remember who's post I'd read!) it with us as I can now enjoy fresh, sweet, juicy sweetcorn :-)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Worth the wait...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 19:05:53 »
Rats, mice, foxes, deer, caterpillars, earwigs, slugs, pigeons, dry rot, wet rot, mildew, blight, RSM, aphid, white fly...........................but still we win out in the end?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 20:14:14 »
We could get really depressed if we only thought about the problems couldn't we Tim... but there is so much good stuff...
 8)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:57:51 »
I wonder if we have a rat somewhere....or more likely loads!!  I've noticed that my sweetcorn (pathetic) and my neighbours (very NOT pathetic) have all been nibbled.  The husks(?) have been peeled back and the kernals munched on.  I thought pigeons but could they peel off the skins?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:29:28 »
Whoever passed on that tip should be dead chuffed ... well done Sweet Pea, hope you have much munching in years to come ;D ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 17:14:20 »
I missed this plastic bottle tip but I can guess I thought about making net sleeves
and tying them at both ends I shall try both next year looking forward to my unmunched corn already
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:40 »
I love growing corn....no munching this year, but will bear the bottle thing in mind should I have trouble in the future, ta for re-passing on the idea!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal