Author Topic: im making an e book on poultry and need some opinions please  (Read 4196 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
I'm putting a poultry e book together and need a few people to give me there  honest opinions as to   if its has anything missing they would look for  in a book and if i need to expand  it in any way   please pm me if you  are   intrested in  reviewing it for me 
 kindest regard Mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: im making an e book on poultry and need some opinions please
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:11:52 »
dont e afraid  im after opinions not money :)
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 19:41:25 »
sheesh i cant even give it away,  oh well not to worry i guess the wife will have to read it first  lol :)

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 22:46:08 »
I kept chooks for a short while so have some knowledge on the subject but being relatively inexperienced I think I may have some ideas on what people want to know.  I would be happy to have a read and tell you what I think and make any suggestions but the best thing may be just to sign up to a good poultry forum like  the practical poultry one and just read through picking out the most commonly asked questions and making sure you have the answers to those at least.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 00:15:25 »
http://www.pekinbantams.com/candle_eggs.asp
I found this site lovely also there is backyardchickens a USA site.

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 00:36:46 »
include in there that black rocks, although are the free range egg laying machines, have the personality of a hoard of football hooligans/skinheads esp. when you have a bowl of food in your hands :o
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 13:27:13 »
ill bare that in mind about black rocks  i dont have that problem as i  only breed marans at the moment  any more takers on this e book  this is a limited offer so  take advantage asap  kindest regard mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 13:28:05 »
any one intrested please send me your email address in pm thanks again mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 21:06:04 »
thanks for taking me up on the offer  palustris and  terresa hope u enjoy

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 21:23:21 »
The first 'how to keep chickens' book I read started with words to the effect of
You will need to cull all your chickens at the end of their first year as they become uneconomical!
I often quote this to my 4 year old girls when I find no eggs - again!

Not the sort of book I want to read.  My favourite has to be 'Hens & the are of chicken maintainace'

I would be happy to look at your book  Slyfox [appropriate name]  ;D

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 12:29:19 »
send me an email addy marymary and ill send it u  regards mal

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 14:42:02 »
I find it very hard to relate to this problem about killing them off; when we had animals (chickens, occasionally ducks, and goats) there was no mystery about it; they got eaten. We treated them as meat on the hoof, and didn't get sentimental over them or make pets of them.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 15:02:11 »
i totally agree Robert , but more and more people are keeping poultry as  pets and  not keeping them as a meat commodity like  a few years ago.,  each to there own i say but getting back to my e book its only meant as a guide book on keeping and rearing chickens and incubation and such like   
kindest regards Mal

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 15:28:04 »
Robert I have no problem with people who want to eat their chickens and make sure they have happy lives until they do.  I think this particularly applies to people who hatch chicks then have loads of surplus cockerels ie you should only do this if you are prepared to dispatch them.   However we don't eat meat & so keep our chicks for eggs and yes they are pets and very rewarding ones too.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 15:37:21 »
 e book sent marymary hope you enjoy.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 22:39:35 »
I did enjoy your e-book SF - thank you.  I have kept chickens for a few years now but there is still lots to learn.  For instance I didn't know gone off feed could cause botulism & I shall be even more careful in future.  Also it reminded me to fill my rat poison box which I had been ignoring as we haven't had any signs for a while.  Any chance of adding a few pictures?

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 12:25:16 »
thanks for the input marymary ill bare this in mind regards mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 20:02:10 »
Many thanks to the people who taken part  with me  on my project,  especially Eric (palustris) for  taking the time and  converting  my northern ramblings in to  useful English . Many thanks all of you  kindest regard Mal

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 09:41:37 »
Mary - how do you know feed has 'gone' off??? Do you know the symptoms of botulism???

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 11:04:29 »
The botulism bit is in sly-foxes book, basically they turn their heads back & die so fairly easy to diagnose!  As for the gone off part I have had feed which was looking a bit odd by the bottom of the bag - sometimes it gets 'moth' where you find sort of strands like spider's web & the odd moth flies out when you open the bin.  I had been told they wouldn't harm the chicks - extra protein - but I think I shall now be more vigilant & chuck out any I don't like the look of.  PS sure SF will be willing to email you his book.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal