Author Topic: Lifting Dahlias...?  (Read 2365 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Lifting Dahlias...?
« on: September 05, 2006, 19:44:55 »
I bought a spent tuberous dahlia from tescos...

i've just it right down....when i tried to lift the tuber...it felt apart so easily. all the swolen bits fell off the centre of the plant. some had rotted off and some are pretty tough feeling.

can i still save those little tubers and plant them in spring....or...is that it?

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Lifting Dahlias...?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 20:15:29 »
The tuber needs to be plump and firm, and it needs to have a tiny bit of the connecting point with the main stem with an `eye` - this is where the new bud comes from next year.  If you look at the very base of the main stem where the tubers join you should see a ring of `eyes`.  Each of these eyes will make a new shoot provided that it has a healthy tuber attached.

Assuming you have found some of these, dust each one with either a fungicidal dust or with flowers of sulphur before storing it.  Don`t forget to inspect each one at regular intervals, and discard any which start to rot.  If any start to wither spray them with water, allow them to dry and re-dust them

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 20:41:22 »
umm....i think i know what you mean by the eyes........i think....

some of the tubers have little balls attached to the bottom of them....they're like part of the tubers but look like little growths on them....is that what you mean?

cos not all of them have it. i guess i'll just discard the rest.

and also do you know what i do with canna lilly? it's still making new leaves....but it's got.....what looks like a plant on either side of the pot.....and in the middle there's a new shoot coming up.

does that mean i can divide that into 3 plants? and should i dig their tubers up during winter aswell?

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 21:00:47 »
No Wahaj.  The eyes are strictly on the base of the main plant stem where the top of the tuber attaches.

Don`t divide the Canna just now, but dig it up in late autumn (it`s frost tender)and store in slightly damp soil or peat.  The root of the Canna is rhyzomatous - a bit like Irises - and can be divided up in spring when you start the plant off in the greenhouse again.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 23:15:03 »
No Wahaj.  The eyes are strictly on the base of the main plant stem where the top of the tuber attaches.

Don`t divide the Canna just now, but dig it up in late autumn (it`s frost tender)and store in slightly damp soil or peat.  The root of the Canna is rhyzomatous - a bit like Irises - and can be divided up in spring when you start the plant off in the greenhouse again.

i've absolutely no idea what you're talking about hahaha.

here's a pic of what i have....

on the right is the whole tuber of my chocolate cosmos...and on the left are the things that fell off the main clump....just under the stem of the dahlia tuber.

i'm assuming no eyes there?  ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 23:16:36 by wahaj »

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:18:41 »
Forgive me Wahaj.  I hadn`t realised that everything had become quite so...detached.  However, try to visualise your pre-detachment dahlia as looking like your cosmos, with the tubers (albeit somewhat plumper) all joined to the stalk in a similar fashion.  Around the very base of the stalk where the tubers join it is a slight collar (there`s a similar one on your cosmos) and around that collar were a number of eyes.  For normal propagation the complete bunch of stalk and tubers (again looking like your cosmos) is started off as a single entity in the spring and the shoots which spring from the eyes are taken as cuttings.

Where the tubers are divided up this also is normally done in the spring. The complete  plant is started into growth and is not divided until the first eyes have started to grow out as shoots. Most of the shoots are from the old collar, but some arise from the top part of the tubers themselves.  Only then can it be seen which tubers have viable eyes, and the stem and tubers are then carefully divided up to leave one growing eye on each part.

From your picture it looks as though the stalk ends of the tubers are the ones pointing to the bottom of the picture.  Look at these carefully at these to see whether you can see any sign of a dormant bud, but you probably won`t.  I`m afraid that with such complete separation your only hope is to store the individual tubers and in spring set them out in compost with only the root ends covered, keep them warm and moist and see whether any shoots arise.  Several of the individual tubers look reasonable so you`re in with a chance.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 19:38:19 »
um....i don't follow ya.....

to be honest don't worry mate. you've been really helpful as it is. i'll just put them in the soil in the spring and see what happens. the plant was dirt cheap anyway so it wouldn't be a loss as such if nothing came from it :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal