Author Topic: Where do you store your seeds??  (Read 2301 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Where do you store your seeds??
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:49:15 »
Where is the best place to store your opened packets of seed?? I was thinking about storing them in my fridge risking the wrath of my other half  :o :o
When i was younger i stored my fishing maggots in the fridge thinking the bait box was sealed and the next morning many of them had escaped!Despite my assurances that they are hygenically bred!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:25:40 by silly billy »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Where do you store your seeds??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 11:08:43 »
If they are in foil fold them tight and they keep...I save a lot of my own toms/peas/beans and just store them in envelopes in a big plastic bag in out "lobby" computer room and have no germination problems... yet!
 ;D

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:49:07 »
I have stored mine in the fridge this year...and my parsnips germinated brilliantly  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:07:26 »
My only worry about a fridge is that it's going to be damp. I'll be keeping mine in a tin in the shed, with packets of dessicant to keep the moisture at bay.

As for escaping maggots, I was living in a shared house once, and had a pint disappear down the floorboards. Not long after, I was frantically going round trying to exterminate 2000-and-odd blowflies before anyone noticed the plague!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:19:09 »
oh i hate maggots. i'm getting anxious just thinking about it.

i once put a black bin bag outside because my bin was full. it stayed there for a week. when i lifted the bag...i think it was leaking and under that were hundreds of maggots just wriggling away. i couldn't have ran away faster. i tried to kill them but they are surprisingly fast!

and back to the point haha.

i just store mine in a cardboard box. along with my bulbs..and my plant labels...that sort of thing.

just like robert i don't see how the damp won't get to them.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 12:29:23 »
Ok ok I confess.................when i was a young fisherman i used to keep a couple of maggots under my toungue to warm them up and get them wriggling.Sadly the fridge episode wasnt the 1st time ive had maggot trouble.I left some in my bedroom in my fishing bag and they changed to flies and escaped.I legged it to school and when i returned my mum had managed to either set free or kill the resulting flies.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 12:54:32 »
 :-\

Last year I kept mine in the fridge, in the salad drawer thingie. This year I have too many and my 2nd fridge died so have less room.

Yup. It's the bicky tin in the shed for me...

;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 12:57:43 »
In bags in a cardboard box, on top of a bucket of seed compost ... in the kitchen :-[

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 13:36:45 »
escaping maggots

GAAAAKK!  :-X

i used to keep a couple of maggots under my toungue to warm them up and get them wriggling

GAAAAAKKK!!  :-X :-X

This thread should come with a free sickbag -- or at least a warning that its innocent title hides horrific imagery!

But in answer to your question, in the fridge, stored in folded-down packets, squashed into an airtight lunchbox.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 14:55:14 »
i store mine in one of the salad drawers.

since we changed our shopping habits we dont have space issues in the fridge anymore - we shop much more when we need to, rather than once a week/fortnightly as a huge shopping trip.
we also waste far less food than we used to....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 17:49:31 »
Store mine in the freezer in an air tight container. Place some Silica Gell in a small pierced plastic bag to keep the air dry. Many seeds last for years.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 18:27:27 »

small seeds in envelopes all over the house,big seeds in plastic take-away containers,all over the house and in lottie shed.plants with seeds still attached in large paper bags in lottie shed  :-[ ::) I could go on..../shades x
grow your own way

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 18:48:21 »
Mine are in a cardboard box in my bedroom in the wardrobe. I don't heat the room so it stays pretty much the same temperature. I've never had any problem with germination and my seeds last for years as I only have a small veggie patch.

Tricia

amphibian

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 19:50:28 »
In ziplocks in a tin in the fridge.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 20:09:51 »
Biscuit tin, under the sideboard...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 20:10:36 »
I don't dare keep seeds in the house; with everyone else being from the tropics, the place is like a hothouse.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 21:52:50 »
Just digressing back to the maggots... my big brother went fishing a lot... once when I was very small prob @7 I was in the cellar and was intrigued by a biscuit tin that was buzzing... needless to say when I opened it..... I was about 30 before I could enjoy a meal outdoors, anything buzzing near me sent me into fits of panic and arm waving...
 :o
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:45:39 by saddad »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 22:25:19 »
GAAAK! :-X

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 23:32:25 »
so funny!!! ;D ;D ;D

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 07:25:54 »
Large plastic ice cream tub, on a shelf in the black hole of calcutta, (under the stairs).

Still using the same tomato seeds bought 3 years ago, as only been able to grow them in pots in the postage-stamp size garden.  Will need more seeds next year though when the allotment is up and running.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal