Author Topic: Confused by celery!  (Read 998 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Confused by celery!
« on: August 31, 2006, 13:22:33 »
I planted some self-blanching celery plants around first week of June.  Then of course it went cold and the plants didn't do much for a while.  Now though they are growing quite bushy.  However, I'm not sure how to tell they are ready.  They are quite low to the ground but the stalks I can see are about a little finger width and still very green.  Do the stalks grow above or under the ground and even though it is self-blanching should I wrap newspaper around to encourge it to grow upwards?

First time growing celery - as with most of my veg! - so feeling a bit dense!!   :-\
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Confused by celery!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 13:52:09 »
Although this is not my first time growing self blanching the same thing as you describe has happened to mine.  I think next year I will do the same as last year.  Dig a trench that has been well manure previous Autumn and then plant celery in the trench.  Do not fill the trench in.  Last years did ok this way, where as this year I put them into open ground.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 16:45:12 »
I always found it more trouble than it was worth, so haven't grown any for over a decade.... maybe I'll try again now I am a bit more experienced..
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 17:27:04 »
My first ever celery too - also self blanching - planted quite densely.  Went soft within two days of picking but I had forgotten to put it in the fridge, though perhaps in water would be better.

They started off just producing stacks of leaves but then the stalks seemd to get going (above ground) - so  perhaps you should give them a bit longer?

I thought they'd be useful since I understood they could be left in the ground for some months. Just read the self blanching varieties aren't frost hardy but I'm in central London so fingers crossed.

I like putting it in the bottom of the roasting pan with onions and carrots to give extra oomph to gravy.  Makes great soup too.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 18:09:01 »
Oh that looks great stuff - I shall wait with anticipation - I wish my sweetcorn looked like yours also -  mine are totally pathetic!

First year - experimentation
Second year - far more patience and muck needed!

Cheers
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal