Author Topic: Those darned Whitefly  (Read 4235 times)

chrispea27

• Acre
Those darned Whitefly
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:12:06 »
I have v heavy infestation of the above anyway of preventing this next year apart from spraying early with organic  bugzapper?
Sorry if this has been asked before,do they really do serious harm?
Chris Pea

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Those darned Whitefly
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:57:17 »
I don't believe they do any serious harm so I leave them be for the birdies, they're just annoying when you want to breathe in :-X

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 19:18:18 »
Hi Chris,
 Try this link
 http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/NBKWK.htm
 See What you think.
 Good Luck,

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 21:03:33 »
Are they brassica white fly or greenhouse white fly.  I have swarms of brassica white fly (don't have a greenhouse) and understand they do little harm.. The parasite is for greenhouse whitefly which are different.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 21:11:09 »
Oh yes, I got some sort of wasp mite printed on cards :o for the greenhouse ones, and it worked! I assumed the brassica ones, whoops! ::)

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 23:02:20 »
I assumed the same SS :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 23:39:05 »
Chrispea, you don't state where the white fly are.  As Supersprout and Redclanger have said. it depends whether they are indoors or outdoors.

If they are indoors, and I assume the infestation is on crops like tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.  We have for several years been using the companion planting system, ie whether the tomatoes, etc, are grown in pots, growbags or in the greenhouse soil, we plant french marigolds in the compost with the tomatoes, etc.

It seems to work, insofar as, since we have been planting the marigolds with the tomatoes, etc, we have never had any whitefly in the greenhouses.  Apparently the marigolds give off 'a substance' which the tomatoes take up, that  the whitefly don't like.

From personal experience, can recommend the system.

With regard to SS's comment that "I don't believe they do any serious harm", anything that attacks a plant weakens it, and leaves it susceptible to other infections.  Whitefly are sap-suckers and should be avoided.

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 23:54:25 »
I've been using Tagetes in the greenhouses and Poly for the last 15 years and cannot remember ever having had greenhouse whitefly in all that time... but brassicas that's another story....
 ;D

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 07:02:54 »
sorry i did not say they are on cabbages and sprouts outside and thanks for all the info
cheers
Chris Pea

JayGee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 21:58:20 »
Hello - I'm new to the site and am looking for some info on glyphosate.  However, I also have a big problem with whitefly on my allotment - they are everywhere - even in the soil when I'm pulling up weeds!  They are also in my polytunnels.  I got fed up breathing them in all the time so got some cheap dustmasks so at least I can breathe easy.  I havent found anything to kill them though as when I spray they just jump off the plants and then back on again!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 01:01:45 »
JayGee,
Information about glyphosate is usually 'on the tin'.  It is a weedkiller that, when applied to a plant, affects only the plant, and when it touches the soil is ineffective, unlike sodium chlorate which leaves the affected soil 'dead' for at least six months.

Whitefly are a sod to get rid of.  In the greenhouse we use the companion planting method of growing french marigolds, and from experience this definitely works.

I don't know if this would work outdoors with the brassicas, etc, but it would have to be worth a try!!

Another method is, if you have one of the small 'hand held' vacuum cleaners, to disturb the whitefly, and then suck them up into the cleaner.

valmarg

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 09:13:46 »
Another method is, if you have one of the small 'hand held' vacuum cleaners, to disturb the whitefly, and then suck them up into the cleaner.

What a brilliant wheeze
<Just off to hoover the brassicas darling>

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 12:21:38 »

What a brilliant wheeze
<Just off to hoover the brassicas darling>

Sounds like a brilliant idea - must get one :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 18:41:21 »
Thanks SS and RC for taking the piss.

An indication of whitefly infestation is when you brush against foliage, and a cloud of whiteflies fly out.  If you have one of the hand-held vacuum cleaners, you can suck up the flies, thereby reducing the breeding (bleeding) numbers.  It's not quite as stupid as you seem to think!!

valmarg

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 20:15:33 »
No p*sstaking intended valmarg - I do think (honour bright!) it's a brilliant 'left field' idea. But what family and lottie neighbours will think when they see me vaccing the brassicas ... they are already convinced I'm on the turn ... oh lordy, I can feel the giggles coming on again ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 20:19:41 by supersprout »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 23:09:10 »
They'll send Namissa down to section you.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 23:25:10 »
Will she bring honey and sugar free recipes please? ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 23:27:45 by supersprout »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 00:45:09 »
No, just endless forms she has to fill in, and a couple of doctors who will be falling over to diagnose you with a treatable mental illness so they can get the extra money for doing it. Then she has to find you a bed, and organise the ambulance, and maybe a couple of policemen if you won't go. She's the expert, so if she says you're in need of hospitalisation, nobody's going to question it. She thinks all lottyers are mad anyway.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 20:18:32 »
Thanks SS and RC for taking the piss.

An indication of whitefly infestation is when you brush against foliage, and a cloud of whiteflies fly out.  If you have one of the hand-held vacuum cleaners, you can suck up the flies, thereby reducing the breeding (bleeding) numbers.  It's not quite as stupid as you seem to think!!

valmarg

Honest Guv - I do think it is a good idea :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 00:55:56 »
Sorry SS and RC for being a bit over sensitive.  I accept it does sound daft, but any whiteflies that end up in the vaccy will be dead whitefly.

I think it was probably the ?avatars of ROTFL, that made me think you might have been taking the wee wee.

If it gave you a laugh, it can't have been all bad.?!!??

I think??

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal