Author Topic: greenhouse shading  (Read 7246 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
greenhouse shading
« on: April 04, 2004, 17:55:44 »
At some stage i will require shading for my new greenhouse. Its ironic that i am thinking about it today,when it feels and looks like winter outside.
Any advice on what others use or have used will be so helpful
Thanks
Anne

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:greenhouse shading
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 20:45:35 »
I find this is another good use for 'agricultural fleece'

Beats painting then washing the windows.

Plus it is easily removed on dull days.

Bl***y good stuff this fleece how did we go on before it come on the scene? :o

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 21:54:53 »
I have a pole from one side of the roof to the other which I drape a huge sheet over and it is clipped to the sides of the roof.  Works a treat for me and can be pulled back if I need some light on shadey days. This is a home made effort, but i have seen bamboo type roller blinds that attach to the outside of the roof and you roll down as necessary.  They look nice, but I bet they are pricey, and would cost 100 times what my little aluminium house cost!

My whole garden has on and off dappled shade throughout the day, so whitening the whole greenhouse with paint really isn't necessary.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 23:08:23 »
I am thinking of making some blinds for mine this year.  Last year was my first year with a greenhouse so I'm quite a novice.  (Best thing I ever bought).  It's in full sun so it gets absolutely scorching in there.  I used the shading paint which was effective and very easy to get on and off but unattractive to look at as you can see from the picture.

As I only have a small garden, the greenhouse becomes a focal point so it has to look nice.  It's octagonal so any tips on easy blinds are most welcome.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:25:43 »
No simple answer for octagonal 'houses - there's a lesson there somewhere! Wash, unfortunately, cuts out a lot of valuable light as well.

As said, a roller is great but, unless professionally made with drawstrings, is a pain to operate. The way to get over this is to unroll it sideways - comme ca;

= Tim

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 09:10:28 »
Thanks for all the replies.As usual your ideas are so good and interesting.
I like Emma Jane's idea, and it is something i could construct.My query is how is the roof ventilation affected by the roof shading?
I have never used agricultural fleece,how do you  attach it to your greenhouse, Gavin?
Any other ideas on materials to use as shading.I saw material in B&Q, wonder how good that is?
Again thanks for the help.
Anne

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 09:56:22 »
Hee-hee - my problem would be attaching a greenhouse to to my fleece!  ;D ;D ;D

Not me ;)  - all best, Gavin

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 10:52:35 »
GG
 1. I would have thought that mesh would have been a more permanent solution - but too costly? There are many alternatives - like 'Rokolene', or Kay's 'Greenhouse Shading'.
 2. Whatever, with my system, it could be rolled onto a wooden curtain pole - or a length of plastic drainpipe.
 3. We anchor ours by hooking over a couple of nails (in wood) - (screws in metal )- at the start & finish. The whole 30' is unrolled in 20 sec. = Tim

PS - We have 6 automatic roof vents, and they just lift the shading up with them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 10:55:44 by tim »

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 12:16:05 »
Don't know if this will help, but we stopped strong sunlight scorching plants with bubble wrap. It acts as a kind of double glasing - useful in winter too.

Our greenhouse is in a very sheltered south facing back yard, and can also get rather hot. But with the roof vent open, and the bubbles to diffuse the strong light, no plants have suffered (as yet!).

:-* Tricia

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 12:19:16 »
Just wanted to say Gillian, bl**dy lovely garden!  Really gorgeous.  ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 14:25:41 »
I have dug 2 foot plots round mine and grow runner beans in them .This in turn provides shade at the height of Summer.That is if we get a height of Summer.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 17:01:10 »
I use old net curtains held on the alu frame with clothes pegs!
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 20:01:28 »
Gilliian - so busy in my night attire, photographing shading this early am, that I omitted to say 'what a smashing nookery you've made'. An example to all. = Tim

colinandyvonne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 22:34:18 »
Thanks for all the replies.As usual your ideas are so good and interesting.
I like Emma Jane's idea, and it is something i could construct.My query is how is the roof ventilation affected by the roof shading?
I have never used agricultural fleece,how do you  attach it to your greenhouse, Gavin?
Any other ideas on materials to use as shading.I saw material in B&Q, wonder how good that is?
Again thanks for the help.
Anne

We use fleece in our greenhouses.  B&Q sell green plastic clips that you can put straight into the frame or buy extra spacer clips that allow you to have a 20mm or so gap between the glass and the material (we use these for bubble wrap during the winter).

So that there is still ventilation we just cut a piece out for the window and stick it to the glass.

HTH

Y.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 23:51:03 »
Thankyou Tim and Emma Jane for your kind complements.  And thanks for not noticing the untidy bags and pots in the bottom corner.  

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 23:58:04 »
Tim, I like your external rollers.  I might try and make something similar for the roof of mine though as you say, it won't be easy because of the octagonal shape.  

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 08:16:57 »
Green house shading. If you see any local scafolding firms taking down the green netting they have up ask them for it. I got a strip aprox 120ft long by 6ft wide for nothing . Im going to using it as shading and I have just got hold of an old frame tent frame so I am also making a walkin fruit cage.
Also the woven thick plastic sheeting they use is also worth getting hold of as I have seen home made poly tunnels covered in this stuff.

Cheers

Alan

PS I use to be Alan Y
But for some reason could not login when the system changes.
 :) :) :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 12:41:54 »
ooo good idea for a fruit cage.  We have an old frame tent....ooo I have soooooo many jobs for Ava!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal