Author Topic: Grass to be Identified...  (Read 1447 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Grass to be Identified...
« on: August 25, 2006, 23:19:08 »
Hi,

I've just been asking at the BBC forum and people don't seem to know anything about it's existance.

Basically a friend of mine has lots of plants of what appears to be a black grass. she cut off one of the seed heads for me which i bought home to collect seeds from and sow. but i'm trying to find out what it is as she doesn't know either.

the plant is nearly black with possible shades of brown or purple in it. it looks like it's made of dark bronze....very metallic looking. it's about 3 feet high. the bottom half of the plant is a thick black stem and then above that the grass blades form. the leaves them selves look very much like those of the black phormium (new zealand flax) but unlike the flax this is a very upright plant. and the leaves aren't as thick and rubbery.

above the leaves is a thin single stem that leads to a single, thick bushy seed head. this is purely black and very hairy looking. on the outisde it's covered with hundreds of black round seeds.

anyone know what it is?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Grass to be Identified...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 08:42:55 »
Even with a superb description like that a picture is always helpful. It could be one of the dark forms of Pennisetum available now. There are name forms of P.rbrum with very dark foliage.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 08:48:23 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 14:13:06 »
it will one of the ophiopogons and being black will be Ophiopogon nigrescens - beautiful and possibly one of the only true black plants  :-\

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 14:39:14 »
Ophiiopogons are much shorter and do not have the flower and seed heads as described here.
Gardening is the great leveller.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 23:24:23 »
Palustris you're right! thanks to both of you.

i guess i should sow the seeds now then.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal