Author Topic: How to plant??  (Read 1745 times)

John Sabin

• Not So New ...
  • I am me and I am sorry if you do not like it !!!
How to plant??
« on: April 02, 2004, 18:28:32 »
 ???
Hiya all me again?
My plot is dug over and I want to start planting. How is the best way to start? Do I plant the seeds into trays and then transfer them when they start growing or do I plant the seeds straight in the ground? I have not got a green house yet.

Thanks John

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:How to plant??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 18:41:31 »
Hi John

I'd suggest keeping it simple - and sowing/planting direct in your beds for most of your veg.   Yes, with experience, willpower, and lots of TLC, a lot of veg can be started early under some sort of cover (greenhouse, windowsill, coldframe etc etc).

But earlier sowings under cover need a lot of well-timed TLC - I don't try them now, excpet for sweetcorn and squashes/pumpkins.  Partly because I want things to ripen during the school holidays, and partly because a lot of later sowings in the bed catch up with (and often do better than) early sowings under cover.

Go for sowing your veg in the beds for now - and later on try for hastening the process?

All best - Gavin

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:54:43 »
Hi John - I'd just add to Gavin's reply that direct sowing works for some and not for others - I can't seem to get a fine enough tilth to direct sow due to the very clayey/stoney nature of my soil (it must be me - fellow plotholders manage!).  Added to which, I can't always get the time to get up the plot and water regularly and lack of water will see seedlings off as quick as blinking.  For me, therefore, growing at home and planting out small plants is a more successful option than direct sowing.

I'd give sowing direct a go (remember to water the drill before you plant, not after as it washes the seeds away!) but don't fret if nothing seems to happen - try again or start plants off at home!
AC x
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 16:22:12 »
Hi John,

Must agree with most of what has been said, but thought I would also add a few bits.

Carrots, parsnips, potatoes and other roots tend to be planted straight into the bed where they will grow. This is because they
1) are quite hardy and
2) don't like being transplanted.

Tomatoes, courgettes, cucumbers and other tender plants are usually started in trays / pots and then planted out after the last frost. This is because they need protecting early on, and need as much summer as possible to get the most out of them.

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflowers and any other brassicas can be sown direct, unless your site has club root (ask the other plot holders). If there is club root on site, it is better to plant them when they have a healthy root system. They might still be affected, but have more chance of growing though it.

Hope this helps .....

:-* Tricia

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 16:40:34 »
A sound summing up Tricia.

Stephan.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 17:05:55 »
A tilth aid...........

Create a furrow by inserting your spade along the line of where you intend to sow the seed, and sway it back and forth to form 'V' trench/furrow.

Fill this with old (disease free) potting compost or new if you can afford it :)

Water this in, sow seed, cover with more compost and this will get your seeds off to a good start choose how rough your ground is.

The Gardener

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal