Author Topic: what's happened to my broad beans?  (Read 2906 times)

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
what's happened to my broad beans?
« on: March 31, 2004, 22:29:35 »
Hi there

I planted some broad beans directly a few weeks ago and there's not a sign of life. It's been pretty cold as we all know, but do you think I should write them off and try again? I'm tempted to give them until the weekend, then re-dig the rows and re-plant. The grounds a bit unused, but I bunged lots of well-rotted manure in a few weeks before I planted, so I don't think it's poor soil... ???

Cheers!

HB

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:what's happened to my broad beans?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 22:35:41 »
I guess if the ground is cold and wet they could well have rotted.  I have never had any success sowing beans direct and always start them off in pots.  Have a peak, carefully scrape back some soil and see if there are any signs of life, don't just dig 'em up in case they are growing.  If no signs, then yup, I would try again.

rdak

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 23:31:47 »
I sowed some direct about 3-4 weeks ago and thought they had rotted, but today saw a few had made it- so don't give up all hope!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:19:27 »
don't give up yet - B beans seem to be a bit shy of apearing but mine are just poking up after more than a month in the ground. patience, or bung in a few more anyway.

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 12:58:04 »
That's really reassuring - thank you all! I'll nip over tonight and if there's no sign of life yet, I may well do as Emma suggests. I have to say this is my first go at planting direct too and may well revert to my original pots fiorst method! Will  let you know how they go.

HB

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 13:00:30 »
I planted my spring sown ones out this morning and put little pop bottle cloches on them, just to give them a bit of help for a week or so.  Of course, I have had the smart alec comment...'ooo nice crop of cola bottles you got growing there...' blah blah blah, but they keep my lettuce and broadies snug and slug free!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 13:54:22 »
I don't sow mine direct because the mice nick the seed!  They find one bean and work in a staight line until the whole row is gone.

I'd recommend starting some off in modules at home and planting them out later  :D
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 18:24:04 »
Hello everyone!

Just thought you'd like an update - I've been back to look today and there's no sign of life, so I foraged a bit with a stick and can't even find the seeds.... :(

I reckon the mice got to them. So.... is it too late to start some off in pots do you reckon? My mum thinks yes and she is normally right, but I've got half a packet left, so I'd like to give it a go. ???

Cheers!

HB

rdak

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 18:43:19 »
go for it- I'm sure you'll get a good crop!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 13:03:36 »
I agree with Ross - you could even give the much debated pre-germination technique a go - put the seeds on damp kitchen paper in a margarine tub or similar.  Put in a warm-ish spot and check every day for the first sign of the root - then put them into the pots.  That way, you'll know if the seed is viable.....you may be able to tell that I'm a bit of a fan of this method.....
AC x

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 21:31:32 »
Hi A_C

Thanks for the tip - I have just put them into ice-cream tubs and will try not to look TOO often at them!!! ;D

H_B

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 12:03:53 »
I cant imagine it is too late.  I plan to grow somemore (I planted some three weeks ago in toilet roll tubes in my spare bedroom and they are now a foot hight) in a week or two to stagger the cropping.  A lady opposite me was planting hers in the ground yesterday.  I am based in sunny Surrey.

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 17:22:40 »
Hi Darkskies

Thanks for the encouragement - I plot in Brentford, so not too far from you! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to them now!

HB

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 17:11:02 »
Yo HB - they shouldn't take long - I peek into my tubs every day!
AC x

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 08:11:29 »
Having read this, I've given myself insurance - I've sown half a dozen in loo rolls last week, and half a dozen direct yesterday with the seeds covered in pop bottle cloches twisted into the soil a couple of inches to deter the mice.  

Hels_Bels

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 16:28:41 »
Hello everyone

To my surprise (but maybe no the less-newbies of you out there!) I have 5 broad beans showing on my plot, at the end I didn't check the other day! ;D ;D

So, I now have a few sprouting on the kitchen roll too - should I put them in pots straight away? I'm going to do some growing comparisons - see which ones do best!

Have a great Easter

HB

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 09:56:16 »
Yeee-ha  H B!   :D  

I pot on my pregerminated Beans as soon as I see the root coming through the seed case.  Plant them about half an inch deep in 3" pots and put them outside somewhere sheltered and light.  Plant out as soon as the roots fill the pots....I suspect you'll get slightly later beans than the direct sown ones, which is no bad thing as it may prolong the growing (and eating) season!
AC

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal