Author Topic: compostumbler  (Read 2467 times)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
compostumbler
« on: March 31, 2004, 21:49:45 »
Hello, Does anybody have any experience with a compostumbler?And is it worth the purchase of one?  ???

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
Re:compostumbler
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 22:05:04 »
I have been wondering about getting one too - I'm not sure how much they cost and i don't know anyone who's got one.  I never seem to have enough compost.  The best and fastest method I have found so far is having several plastic dustbins (the ones that cost about £7 from homebase) with large holes cut in the bottom.  I shred everything first with the mower, vary the layers and keep moist.  When one bin is full, it's still light enough to completely tip upside down into an empty one.  Just one turn seems to do the trick.  This seems to work faster than my big compost bin.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:31:30 »
My local council sells compost bins and tumblers quite cheaply (I can't remember exactly how much). I would like a tumbler, but they seem to take up an awful lot of room, which I just don't have!
gone to pot :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:27:32 »
It's got to be heavy when it's full. Is it on somesort of a swing frame? How about an ordinary plastic tub with a good lid, lay it down and go walk-about, or is that roll-about?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 12:19:34 »
This may be unfair, but the only one I have had experience of (on a frame) had a pivot shaft running through the centre - and the contents used to clog up on the shaft. = Tim

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 12:55:20 »
Seems these are like Marmite - you either love them or hate them!

Cripes - I love mine - wouldn't be without it....but it does seem to take a while to get the knack of them.  If you have a small garden they are great - but you need to have a ready supply of dry matter to add to it (plain cardboard, straw, etc) as wet kitchen waste and young green waste from the garden produces soggy compost, I find.

They produce 'raw' compost fast - I empty mine regularly into a small slatted plastic compost bin hidden behind the shrubs to mellow for a while.  

Tim is right - there is a bar in the middle but I don't find this too much of a problem  Check out:

http://www.blackwall-ltd.com/homecomposting1.htm

They came out well in the Gardeners World compost bin trial

AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 11:29:50 »
Thank you for your help and advice with the compostumbler. This was my first posting to the message board and encourages me to continue participation. I am thoroughly enjoying reading and making use of the members extensive knowlegde and experience.
I still, however, have not decided which methods of composting to use. ;D ;D

Thank you.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 18:10:53 »
Why not keep an eye out in the local paper?  You might be lucky to get one to try quite cheaply.  In fact, there was one at my local tip last week which I don't doubt could have been liberated for a fiver!
AC
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 18:11:40 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal