Author Topic: Mink - and what?  (Read 2220 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Mink - and what?
« on: August 01, 2006, 21:32:55 »
I went fishing today in the Cumbrian Derwent, and at one point noticed a pure black animal running along the opposite bank, and eventually diving into the water. I am pretty sure that it was a mink, but it was followed almost immediately by a similar sized animal, which behaved just the same, but this one was a pale grey.
What did I see?
JeremyB

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Mink - and what?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 23:49:49 »
Probably mink of different colours; they're descended from escapes from fur farms, after all, and you can get mink coats in all sorts of colours. Did they look like the pics here http://www.turtletrack.org/Issues03/Co07262003/CO_07262003_Mink_Raven.htm ? The good news regarding mink is that as otters become more numerous, the mink tend to vanish.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 23:49:59 »
Perhaps it was the minks grandpa ;D

I'll get me coat :'(

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:50:38 »
Yes, I was pretty certain that the black one was a mink, and it makes sense that the other was a colour variation. I'm a ittle surprised, I would have thought that they had been sufficiently long in the wild for them to have become homogonised!
JeremyB

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:59:10 »
They do come in different colours ..They are becoming  a pest round here on
South yorks rivers... Jim
Cheers .. Jim

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:40:50 »
Really Jim?

Where, cos I've heard and seen nowt....I'd love to see them though.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 13:10:07 »
They are all over in the banks of the Dearne.. Mostly in the holes where the water voles were ..There is an old part near Harlington thats land locked now..Due to them redirecting it..Think you may know where I mean ..Theres a lot down there if you sit quiet  I feel sure you will see some. they are also  in banks of the Don too..Ask any local fishermen near to you they prob will know where to see them ...I have also seen them on banks of a local pond....cheers Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 14:39:01 »
I know they are a pest and a threat to our native beasties, but I do so love to see these larger critters scampering about.  It always takes my breath away when I see a deer in the wilds.  Recently I have been catching glimpses of what I assume is a water vole in the ditch behind my shed at the plot - altho the ditch is currently dry - it leads down to a pond, on private property  >:( - so I guess they are there.  I have never seen a real live mink, only the ones that my nan used to wear when it was fasionable and I was little - so donkeys years ago!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 21:22:32 »
It's probably not a water vole if it's away from water. They used to be all over the place round Oxford, and I never saw one more than a few yards from the river or canal. Their burrows open in the bank, and usually have an underwater entrance.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 17:08:37 »
They are all over in the banks of the Dearne.. Mostly in the holes where the water voles were ..There is an old part near Harlington thats land locked now..Due to them redirecting it..Think you may know where I mean ..Theres a lot down there if you sit quiet  I feel sure you will see some. they are also  in banks of the Don too..Ask any local fishermen near to you they prob will know where to see them ...I have also seen them on banks of a local pond....cheers Jim

Just down from Pastures Lodge near the bridge?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 22:13:02 »
Yes to the left ,,It is called locally Old  Dearne...  Stay on lodge side looking over water to high melton side,  ...cheers Jim
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal