Author Topic: Will cows eat it???  (Read 2931 times)

Conker

• Not So New ...
Will cows eat it???
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:08:00 »
I work in a school and we are going to try to improve the school grounds over the next few years with a veg plot, flower garden and compost area, involving the kids as much as possible.  We have a boundary with a local cow farmer, and this boundary consists of the seven-foot tall security fencing with spikes on the top.  We would like to plant some climbing plants along there (clematis, honeysuckle, etc) with trellis to give it a hand, but are concerned that the cows will munch it and destroy our hard work!

Does anyone have any experience of this?  Are we on a hiding to nothing? 

Thanks

Bob (really a girl, but it's a long, long story)
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Will cows eat it???
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 11:05:14 »
If the cows have plenty of grass then i doubt they will touch it. It all depends on how big their field is, how well they are fed etc.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 12:03:48 »
Cows will pretty much eat anything, they will try most things to be honest. Sheep are even worse though with goats being the worst by far!

The problem is often at it’s worst about now when the grass is very dry and shrub leaves are lush by comparison.

But they may not kill the plant, they simply prune it back on that side of the fence. My garden borders open fields and I have various climbers and roses on the fence any they have established themselves very well.

Jerry
Farmers son
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Conker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 20:36:34 »
Thanks for the advice.  Will give it a try I think and put down anything that happens to experience, good or bad!  :)

The farmer does sometimes change the cows for sheep, but there are a couple of patches of nettles near the fencing now that I've had chance to look again, so it might just deter them from munching my plants!

Thanks again.

Bob
If you bring it upon yourself, take it on the chin like an adult.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 23:33:20 »
Sheep are even worse though with goats being the worst by far!

I'll second that lol

Although our horses do a good job of demolishing fences to eat stuff from the compost heap too!
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal