Author Topic: shed art  (Read 2206 times)

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
shed art
« on: July 23, 2006, 23:05:40 »
hi all, i would like to paint my shed in a groovey kinda way, anyone have any pics or ideas? ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: shed art
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 23:18:20 »
Are you talking a garden shed or an allotment shed  ??? If the latter you may find restrictions with regard to colour variation. :-\

karrot

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 23:25:18 »
oh allotment shed, come to think of it i havn't seen any other colourfull sheds i'll have to ask moonbells.
         calling moonbells ::)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 23:54:04 »
Hi Karrot,  If it is an allotment shed then we too aren't allowed any fancy colours or designs on our Site.  I think the reasoning behind it is, that if there are any vandals about, they may choose the shed that is the most eyecatching to burn down or vandalise. It is sad isn't it, that you can't be a little creative?  :( busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 00:06:37 »
Maybe colourful climbers? When I get my shed built (SORE POINT) I'm planning to grow climbers up it - prickly ones - probably roses ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:01:35 »
I want my tiny shed (broken into once, tools stolen) to be as inconspicuous as possible.  It crouches almost inside a huge hawthorn hedge encouraged to grow round and over it, and on the visible areas (apart from the door!) I'm growing cordon redcurrants.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:47 »
Hi Karrot!
As you know, my shed is blue - so I don't see how they could complain about any other colour. unless of course if you paint yours pink, and they don't like it and then they notice my blue one...
Incidently, I have recently bought a tin of pale blue for my shed - thought I'd tart it up before the winter. I was thinking of letting Evie paint some flowers on the door side of the shed, when I'd done the base coat (will probably be some spare if you need some blue in your design...
love,
Sarah.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15:04 »
Try some of these... http://www.upprojects.com/projects/the_other_flower_show/the_other_flower_show.html#
http://www.auburn.edu/~zenorjf/cube.htm  (in the traditional allotment movement of "recycle as much as possible)
http://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/departments/hortic/news.htm (scroll on down till you get to the shed)

or turn it into a beach hut with horizontal stripes and a plastic flamingo outside the front door. ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:28:22 by bennettsleg »

karrot

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 22:55:19 »
hi Sarah, where have you been? Evie doing flowers ;D I'll send Livvy over to do one of her famous jellyfish people.
i was thinking big scary pigion evil eyes the works ;)
how are your spuds i only got 5 from 2 plants ???

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:24:37 »
oh allotment shed, come to think of it i havn't seen any other colourfull sheds i'll have to ask moonbells.
         calling moonbells ::)

ello?

:)

The nicest shed I saw on our site was a cobbled-together one with a lovely little stained glass window. The Dec 2004 vandals broke it. There's one chap who has built a bespoke shed down near the bottom gate and has painted it beautifully, and attached an old spade (painted white!) to the side with a giant U-bolt. Looks lovely. I keep my fingers crossed that some wretch doesn't notice it...

The good news about the full site occupancy is that it does increase the chances of someone being up there to visually dissuade oiks.

Mine's just been recovered with roofing felt (best way to waterproof it!) so can't really be painted, though we are thinking about doing the door green :) The only thing that stops me is the wish to keep it low key and invisible so to not attract attention! (Is also main reason it's not locked - doesn't get broken up if someone wants to investigate the contents)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:29:02 »
hi Sarah, where have you been? Evie doing flowers ;D I'll send Livvy over to do one of her famous jellyfish people.
i was thinking big scary pigion evil eyes the works ;)
how are your spuds i only got 5 from 2 plants ???

Hello Sarah too! Replied to Karrot before reading the rest of the thread  ::)

Long time no see - how're you? Will you be at the cheese and wine party on Sat? I can't as it's Mum's 75th and will be miles away. (And I hope that my plot survives, since the party's on a neighbouring one.)

Karrot - just thought - painting silhouettes of birds of prey is supposed to deter pigeons. I think peregrines are best, as their main prey is pigeon...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 10:07:38 »
Hi chaps!
Yes, I haven't been visiting these parts for some time - but have been fairly active in real life!!
I'm fine thanks MB, and I'm planning on going to the cheese and wine on Saturday (all other things being equal!!).
How about you Karrot? - you going to be there?

Good idea about the birds of prey  - actually I saw a shed somewhere in sussex with a giant stuffed thing on the roof - looked like an Eagle Owl. But considering the pigeons on Cameron Rd will land less than 5 foot from a spade-wealding human being, I doubt if anything will deter them!

sb

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 10:37:51 »
If you want to deter oiks why don't you paint it up New York graffitti styleee with madmen wielding chainsaws etc. ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 11:36:45 »
If you want to deter oiks why don't you paint it up New York graffitti styleee with madmen wielding chainsaws etc. ;D

They'd probably take it as a set of instructions...

moonbells

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 17:31:49 »
Oh dear - i have buddhist flags on my allotment and OH is getting me some more next week except REALLY BIG FLAGS this time... I hope no one complains... the yellow flags attract teh ladybirds and the flapping is supposed to keep the birds off!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal