Author Topic: My Waterbutt spilleth over!  (Read 4331 times)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
My Waterbutt spilleth over!
« on: July 26, 2006, 20:58:58 »
Goodness we've had some rain at last, been raining here since 3:30, it's now coming up 9:00, we've had two torrential downpours, and 2 hailstorms, and I was out in alll of them!

I've 4 waterbutts at the moment, and they are all overflowing, but not much I can do, the garden is absolutely soaked and the ducks are swiming (without a pond) all this and the temperature is still about 25degrees!
Kathi :-)

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
Re: My Waterbutt spilleth over!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 21:01:44 »
If you have any spare rain send it over here!  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 21:34:42 »
No, send it here; the thundertorms we were promised seem to have been another mirage.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 22:11:23 »
JEALOUS  We have had about 6 spots!!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 22:29:43 »
Could do with it here. Got two rumbles of thunder when I was at plot this morning (I cam home, I'm a coward), I was expecting storm with great downpou and got about half a dozen spots of rain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 00:24:39 »
The Met Office site keeps promising us thunderstorms then taking them away. They're back up but I don't know how long for. Metcheck has a severe weather warning up, but we're not included.

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 00:34:47 »

We were promised much but once more it seems to have passed by.

According to IOW storm tracker we're under a storm right now.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:18 »

Even harder to bear cos I'm only half an hour away from your butts (so to speak) >:( :P

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 10:13:25 »
We had a storm last night and some rain....i went to my allotment this morning and the top of the ground is wet but half an inch under is dry!

By the way, we had some of our plants pulled up and the tops chopped off last night (looks like kids were swinging  sticks at the plants).  Also someone had been in my shed but luckily i can't see anything taken.

The allotments metal waterbutt under the allotment tap has been stolen!

It makes me very angry!
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 10:22:48 »
Torrential rain and storms last night and rain the night before.  We are spoiled in Lincolnshire at the moment.  Wet nights, hot sunny days.  Wet sky at night, slugs delight though.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:03:00 »
I'm in lincolnshire too and but we have only had 2 sprinklings in the last 8 weeks until last night... was awakened by thunder and lightning and torrential rain.... it had all stopped by the time i got up at 8am but even now the ground is still wet so we obviously got LOADS of rain last night FINALLY!

I think my plants will be incredibly happy when i check them tomorrow!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 11:45:21 »
Last night was incredible. Got halfway to car with lottie strimming gear and noticed a whopping dark cloud and rumbles of thunder. Went back inside.

Five minutes later there were spots of rain. Hubby and I ran to get the laundry in, having just realised it was still out.

Five minutes after that it was like Niagara Falls. And I've seen them for real...

We had 28mm of rain in half an hour (not to mention a massive electrical display).

I'm glad I don't live in the valley area of town - they apparently had quite horrible flash flooding, poor things!

Forecast is another 20mm today, though I'll forgive Metcheck if it's wrong. I bet my poor sweetcorn is flattened!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:36:47 »
Oh please let it be our turn soon! Ran home from the plot yesterday evening as the first big fat promising drops fell, but it was all over in 10 mins and the ground wasn't even properly wet

Then last night the whole sky was lit up with lightning for around half an hour around midnight, but not a drop fell.

It's just teasing us!   :(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 12:42:14 »
I'm not very far away and we had some proper rain for a change but it was only for about 40 mins. The thunder started at about 1pm but the rain didn't arrive until 9pm. We had some impressive lightening with it during and after the rain. It's still not enough it hasn't made much improvement to the garden.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 13:00:39 »
The amazing bit about last night's rain was that all around us, folk didn't get a drop... My colleagues who live in the Hillingdon area got the thunder from all around them, but no rain. Aylesbury didn't seem to get rain either, according to another colleague. A friend in Bracknell was stunned by the storm they got, with more forked lightning than she'd seen for years.

So it must have been localised to the Chilterns and directly south of them.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 13:07:52 »
 >:(

Jealous Jealous Jealous

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 13:40:19 »
Heard at lunch time we have storms heading up to the North East Coast.  Would be lovely if it cleared the air, it has been so humid here the last week, and the lottie is desperate for some decent rain.  :) busy_zlizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 13:59:56 »
The Met Office has given us a severe weather warning with up to 25mm of rain prophesied. For once, I want severity! Right now, it's cooler with a thin overcast.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 17:30:02 »
OK stop wishing for rain everyone... its about to chuck it down here and i have to drive a smartcar for 2 hours in this weather which will no doubt get much worse as soon as i turn the ignition on.

Also i have next week to myself and i wanted to get some lotty work done - so stop wishing for rain or i'll get washed out and have to find my wellies and WWG.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 18:10:50 »
Supersprout and all other A4A "dry" members hope the rain has now reached you. I am sure pring13 and I wouldn't gloat but we have had a little more rain this afternoon.. Did hear some more thunder but that has rummbled away. May the rain be with you!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal