Author Topic: bad news  (Read 1746 times)

gsewell

• Not So New ...
bad news
« on: August 02, 2006, 17:26:43 »
I have just got some allotment association numbers from the local council and its bad news all round, tried 4 different patches and there is nothing available and waiting lists of 18 months,,, so I guess im stuck!!!

Dont suppose there is any forum members in the ashington area that can help?

Cheers
Gav

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: bad news
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 17:31:18 »
Oh bad luck indeed :'( have you checked all the plots in the area? Was talking to the Council chappie yesterday, he says some plots have waiting lists and some don't, within a couple of miles of each other. Overall only 65% occupancy ??? And we have such lovely soil! :-\

gsewell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 17:35:47 »
yes tried almost all the council have offered, But I am now gonna try a neighbouring village,,, Newbiggin by the sea aparently they have 1000+plots so if they dont have nothing...well...thats it aint it?!?!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 17:40:47 »
Oh Newbiggin is so pretty anyhoo, and think of the seaweed you'll be able to harvest for your plottie! Good luck gsewell :)

gsewell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 17:48:29 »
are you from the area supersprout?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 17:51:00 »
was brought up in Hexham :) lived there til I was 18-ish - family home is still there ::)

gsewell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 17:53:33 »
ah just phoned an allotment owner in ashington and there is 3 plots available but he has warned me they are in a mess!!!

I guess most plots are anyways, but I will have a look and see whats what, If I take some pics would you guys help me out, whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing? Its only £5 a year.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 17:59:50 »
oo persistence pays eh - a choice of three! I'd go over and take a look - there are several threads in the basics on 'what to look for'. Take pics and show us? As long as it's not mare's tail, a million miles from water or on a steep north facing slope ... :D You might find this useful? http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,72/topic,20977.0

Our lottie rep won't show people vacant plots until they've been mown ???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 18:06:53 by supersprout »

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 18:01:21 »
I bet you take one, whatever the 'mess' is  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 19:45:39 »
Even mare's tail can be coped with (dives down to miss the flak ;D ;D)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 19:49:25 »
I think mare'stail is a lot less of a nuisance than some other weeds, eg bindweed.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 20:09:26 »
I'd be tempted to go & look at your local sites and see if the plots really are taken. If any look as if they haven't been touched recently, report this to the powers that be & see if they can chasev up the tenants to see if they really want them. Our council claims that all the plots are taken, but I kno of at least one that's completely covered in brambles!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 11:00:40 »
I think mare'stail is a lot less of a nuisance than some other weeds, eg bindweed.

me also - I really don't mind mare's tail as it snaps off so easily and it does have a natural fungicide that is beneficial - learn to love your weeds - also ducking from the flak  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 13:06:03 »
Please don't tell me to love bindweed, or that it has a pretty flower!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 13:57:04 »
Before I got an allotment(for the same reasons) I heard of an old lady with a large garden who's husband had just died.

I got in touch with her through a mutual friend and we made up an agreement on what was expected from me for using her land and facillities.

The deal worked very well for both of us, at least until she died, and then her family sold the property meaning I had to leave.

The family were very fair to me they offered me all the tools and equipment that was in the garage & greenhouse before selling up so all in all it was a very nice experience.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal