Author Topic: club root  (Read 13098 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
club root
« on: July 23, 2006, 08:41:50 »
Having just taken on an allotment after an 8year break. I went to the shed yesterday and asked for a packet of Murpy's clubroot powder. " IT'S BEEN WITHDRAWN" was the answer. So what have you got to replace it? I asked. Sorry we don't have anything. Please can someone tell me what we use these days to stop the dreaded clubroot? I'm wondering just how many other products have been withdrawn.
 regards Shirley
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

HazelH

Re: club root
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:01:03 »
Yes almost everything we need has been withdrawn! An allotment colleage of mine asked advice on this, and was told to try sulphur. You just dip the roots of the seedling into it, as one used to do with chloropos (withdrawn years ago). The only other not-very-helpful advice is to keep liming the soil, and after about three years you might have got rid. Personally I can't wait that long.

HazelH

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 09:39:56 »
Will Jeyes' Fluid do it? It may be illegal, but at least you can get it.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:03:05 »
Thankyou so much I will try the jeyes
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 10:10:54 »
I use armillatox which has a similar smell as jeyes and is legal.

I also lime the bed.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 10:27:33 »
I have club root but still grow good brassica. The main secret is raising the plants in pots so they have a very good root system established, I take them on into 2 or 3 litre pots so they are faily large at planting out.

I then lime the bed and the planting hole very heavily, I also add a bit of rhubbarb to the hole.

There are a few chemical treatments in the pipeline but amature gardeners wont get their hands on them for a few years yet.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 22:45:22 »
I use armillatox which has a similar smell as jeyes and is legal.

I also lime the bed.
Not any more it ain't TG - not as a soil soak anyway.  Only as a cleanser for your greenhouse and patio but I won't tell anybody if you don't ;)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 22:56:02 »
I got some club root last year. this year I was told to put a piece of rhubarb in the planting hole and inch or so is fine. So far the brassicas i have pulled up have had no club root, could be coincedence or it could be working.

powerspade

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:19:43 »
I have 150 brassicas planted and all have a piece Rhubarb underneath them - result no club root 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 13:06:49 »
Quote; Not any more it ain't TG - not as a soil soak anyway.

::) oops!! ::)  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 16:30:02 »
Are you sure it is actually illegal to use Armillatox as a soil soak. I thought it was just that the manufacturers refused to pay the huge costs of getting registered under the new EC rules so cannot advertise that it is a soil steriliser on the label (or elsewhere), but you can still buy it and choose to use it as a soak.

(Apparently the recipe hasn't changed since the EC supported it's use against vine weevil eggs so I don't thing one could be prosecuted successfully for harming the environment! )

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 11:41:09 »
If it is not registered under the EC rules, it is illegal to use as a pesticide. ::) Tis the point of registration. 
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 12:01:00 »
Oh No! I'm a criminal...... have to mend my ways: Lucky that the patio that needs cleaning is right next to the bed with black spot;javascript:replaceText(' :D', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Cheesy

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 15:13:41 »
I think it will be on a similar basis to Jeyes which is now a disinfectant rather than an insecticide / tar wash.

Whats in an name, I gave up growing square tomatoes and bent cucumber ages ago ::) when the EU intervened. :o

So no difference here I suppose ;D

only joking!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 19:54:09 »

ARMILLATOX

I have a brochure prepared by the Armillatox company, which states that, thanks to the Pesticides Safety Directorate, Armillatox could be used against vine weevil.  Apparently, at the recommended dilution, it could be used against the eggs of vine weevil.  I grow a lot of fuchsias, and Armillatox is another arm in the war against them.

It also states that it can be used:

To control moss in grass
To control moss on hard surfaces
Control of honey fungus
Control of clubroot
Sterilising – water in water butts
Cleansing/disinfectant
Control of toxocara canis

The leaflet goes on to state that the testing for approval was carried out by University Horticultural Services, University of Wales, Bangor.

Well, THAT’S good enough for me, a British organisation has certified the product as A1 OK.

Then along comes the EU.  “Sorry sunshine, but WE have not tested it, so you cannot use it for all those purposes  unless we tell you you can!!!!”

It would cost the Company hundreds of thousands of pounds to obtain the EU certification.  Armillatox is a small company based in Chesterfield.  It is unable to afford EU certification, BUT, having got the information about its uses, I still use it in accordance with the leaflet I have.

So I am another crim!!  The fact that the EU does not approve of the use of the substance is neither here nor there.  It is made to the same ‘recipe’ when the Pesticides Safety Directive gave it the ‘all clear’, so as far as I am concerned a UK organization gave it the ok, and I shall continue to use it.

The EU can go tickle up its kilt!!

Valmarg

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 22:37:22 »
very well put, i still use jeyes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal