Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 2003 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Advice needed
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:04:52 »
I want to plant up the entrance road to our road, at the moment its a mixture of grass and weeds. We have some trees either side which will be staying but its ideas for plants I'm getting confused with. All I have in mind is lavender so thats okay. They won't be watered only the initial watering in and must be very drought tolerant. Children and adults walk pass daily so I'd like something that pleases both, nothing too tall either cars have to see ::) or expensive. Sounds like I need a miracle doesn't it ;D  hope you can help thanks.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:13:33 »
Naturalised bulbs such as;........... all the Spring bulbs..........Crocosmia / Montbretia for the summer

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:08:24 »
How about hardy geraniums, tough as old boots, loads of flowers, not too tall and forms nice clumps, very drought tollerant.

Loads of choice:

http://www.hardygeraniums.com/

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:42:47 »
Yes good stuff, I wasn't sure if crocosmia or geraniums were drought tolerant...I love both plants and could take cuttings from my own garden. The soil BTW is probably akaline to neutral, I say probably because I haven't done a soil test, just going by my own garden, the area is sun and shade and clay. I'm going to go on the geranium site and find out, especially if they're evergreen too, there seems so much to think about it just leads on, think I might just plough in and hope for the best, it helps using you all as a sounding off board, hope you don't mind...a big thank you.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 15:31:39 »
Rosemary (as long as you don't mind pruning it!!) -- it positively thrives on drought and neglect.  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 23:41:52 »
Rosemary... I'm on my third and it will not establish. Germander (Teucretum Officinalis?) makes an excellent low shrub, evergreen and about knee high with pink flower stems in summer. Propagates well, can be cut right down (stooled) if gets too big and recovers quickly from damage...
 8)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:54:02 »
thanks, yes I must admit I've lost 2 rosemary's, I won't buy another, going to look up germander, I can't start anything until the rains come...if they ever do, my crocosmia have all died off in the garden so thats a no no, brown withered leaves which used to be green, drought conditions? sorry should've said desert.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal