Author Topic: Melon care  (Read 1281 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Melon care
« on: July 19, 2006, 14:00:47 »
Hi again,

Here I go with yet another question... first time growing melons/watermelons and several fruits have set and are growing nicely. Question is... do they require or would they benefit from a feeding of some sort? if so which type? would a seaweed based fertiliser do them good?

and on another note... do I need to protect them from any pests or care for them in any special way?

as always - many thanks for all the help.

vaca

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Melon care
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 14:08:21 »
Just out of interest vaca, are you growing these under glass or outdoors? Am thinking of trying melons next year, but don't have a greenhouse.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 14:12:29 »
I am not an expert but am treating my melons like my squashes (just in the greenhouse not outdoors) they are apparently thirsty and greedy so mine get plenty of water and tomato food when I remember ;)

Mine have not been attacked by anything but maybe I am just lucky.

When the melons get bigger it helps to support them in some way - netting / stockings etc.

I saw a  thing where Bob Flowerdew said melons like a bit of shade - who am I to argue.

Good luck with your crop.

Tinkie-Bear

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 14:33:33 »
I'm growing melons for the first time too, in one of those plastic walk in greenhouses. I spotted my first set watermelon starting to grow this morning :-)
Interesting to hear about the shading, that's probably why I've noticed the watermelon leaves getting a little scorched around the edges, although the other types done't seem to have been affected.  I shall try and put some fleece up tonight to try and shade them a little.
I'm afraid I have no advice to offer as I'm still learning, but I'm really excited I've managed to get them this far, and fingers crossed I'll have at least one fruit to harvest.

I can't remember who sent me the seed, maybe it was you vaca?  If so, many thanks again, and I'm glad you're having success with them too.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 15:25:10 »
Just out of interest vaca, are you growing these under glass or outdoors? Am thinking of trying melons next year, but don't have a greenhouse.

1/2 my plants I'm growing them outdoors (but under one of those small polytunnels. I've had the covering off the tunnel now for a few weeks to let the bees do their work, but will be covering it up again soon. The other 1/2 are out on the open with no covering whatsoever. I'll see what results I get from both methods.

The melons and watermelon varieties I've platned make particularly small fruits to suit the UK weather as they are rather early varieties. (at least that's what the blurb on the seed packet said - all seeds were from 'real seeds')

vaca

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 15:31:19 »
I can't remember who sent me the seed, maybe it was you vaca?  If so, many thanks again, and I'm glad you're having success with them too.

sweet-pea, it was me who sent them  :)  I'm glad you've managed to get them this far!! all too exciting stuff  ;D

good luck
vaca

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 16:14:54 »
Let us know how they ripen! I'm planning to grow Petit Gris de Rennes next year (from Real seeds).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal