Author Topic: fluid filled boil/ulcer just above the wing bow what is it? please help!!!  (Read 2213 times)

poppy queen

??? today when I went to see my girls, (I’ve got a small flock of six) they've just started malting, I noticed one of them has got a large fluid filled boil or ulcer between her neck and the top of the wing, its about an inch and 1/4 in diameter. when I showed this to one of the other chuck keepers she said she'd never seen anything like it. I wouldn't have noticed this if the chicken had her feathers on the area so it is possible it had been there for some time it doesn't seem infected but its a very peculiar thing. she’s getting on now but is still in fair nick. we've just had a major relocation and they've come with me. I cant find anything on the internet so this is my last resort. please I need your help. if anyone has any idea I would be most grateful.  ???

Paulines7

• Hectare
We had a chicken that developed a huge cyst or swelling on her head.  It came up so suddenly too.  We decided to put her down.   :'(

poppy queen

Paulines7 thanks for your reply, did the cyst seem to affect the chicken in any way or did she seem not bothered by it? im considering taking her to a vet ???

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Oh what a thing, havent had it with hens, but a few years ago my pregnant dog her paw swelled up so I used a needle and opened it out squessed and a ear of corn/rye popped out. These have needle sharpness when dried out, washed the paw out with salt water followed by hydriation preoxide ( used by vets you can buy at chemist for 99p) cleared up no problem.
Is your hen outside could she have picked up something like it?
Hydrogen Peroxide ( spelling corrected) at 6% will burn out any bad matter it foams up, I use it on us as well instead of iodine. It can tingle but nothing goes sepitic afterwards.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Paulines7 thanks for your reply, did the cyst seem to affect the chicken in any way or did she seem not bothered by it? im considering taking her to a vet ???

It didn't seem to affect the chicken though she probably couldn't see out of the eye on that side.  The swelling was almost as big as her head and like a big tumour. 

Teresa's suggestion is worth considering if you are not too squeamish.

poppy queen

went to see the chuck this morning when it was cooler to take her to the vets and the boil was gone! however later in the day when it had warmed up it came back, but not nearly as large as it was before, I'm starting to think it must be a heat lump/boil which would explain why it wasn't infected and also why it changes with the temperature thanks everyone for you help!! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal