Author Topic: Broad Beans in Bog Roll inners  (Read 2621 times)

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
Broad Beans in Bog Roll inners
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:27:58 »
Nine toilet roll centres are presently holding my two inch high broad bean plants, nestled under the window of my spare bedroom.  Now, this growing stage is where I am a bit confused.  Do I wait until the roots pop out the bottom and pop them in a larger pot.  Or do I consider planting them out already?  Additionally, another sillily obvious question, do I cut off the cardboard or just let it rot away?  

Cheers.  ;D

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Broad Beans in Bog Roll inners
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 13:52:55 »
I have done the same thing with some broad beans that I have sowed. The recommendation I think is that you plant them out when they have got around 4 true leaves. The ones I have sown have gone a bit further as weather conditions did not allow them to be planted out. I have planted them out complete with the bog roll inner. They have been in for about a week and look nice and healthy. The roll should degrade. Also I think that worms are rather fond of cardboard so it shouldnt be a problem.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 13:54:24 »
Monty said to make sure the bog roll is well and truly wet you plant it. then it'll rot.

I really must sow mine soon!
gone to pot :D

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 16:50:02 »
Monty said to make sure the bog roll is well and truly wet you plant it. then it'll rot.

I really must sow mine soon!

Excellent, when can they go outside then?

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 18:16:10 »
They can be planted out anytime from now on. But as they have been in the nice cosy environment of your spare bedroom they need to be hardened off first before you plant them out. In other words you need to acclimatise the plants to the outside conditions. You need to do this gradually over a period of days. Increasing the time exposed to the outside conditions each day.
Ideally this should be in a cold frame. If you havent got a cold frame then I would guess it would have to be in a relatively sheltered place. Gale force winds like last weekend will demolish the plants pretty quickly. All you are trying to achieve is to not make it too much of a shock to the plant when it is planted in its final place.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 19:08:16 »
 8)
  l think it is a good way to start your runner beans and sweetcorn as well
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 20:16:25 »
Have just watched a 'Kitchen Garden' programme(Tyne Tees),
which showed broad bean seeds being sown straight into the ground.

Top tip from the programme was to place the seed on top of hair clippings to deter mice ( according to old folk, the use of cat hair would deter the mice due to the smell...)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 08:08:05 »
at last, a use for all the cat hair my cats kindly produce!

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 12:53:00 »
They can be planted out anytime from now on. But as they have been in the nice cosy environment of your spare bedroom they need to be hardened off first before you plant them out. In other words you need to acclimatise the plants to the outside conditions. You need to do this gradually over a period of days. Increasing the time exposed to the outside conditions each day.
Ideally this should be in a cold frame. If you havent got a cold frame then I would guess it would have to be in a relatively sheltered place. Gale force winds like last weekend will demolish the plants pretty quickly. All you are trying to achieve is to not make it too much of a shock to the plant when it is planted in its final place.

Grand cheers, I have one of those plastic greenhouses in the back garden so will pop them in there before taking them down to the allotment.  The thing is, the books tend to say double rows spaced at 3ft apart.  Is that each row or, two together.  I have to say Dr Hesseyon has nowt on the allotments4all folks :) .

I also wondered what to do with the cats from down the road that donate their wares to my small patch of garden.  Now I think its time to give them a free haircut and send them back to their owners.  :o

Now if I could only find a good use for the fox that howls outside the missus and I's bedroom window each night...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 13:25:04 »
Do watch out for frost even with your plastic greenhouse. I have one and it doesn't seem to protect against frost. I've covered it in fleece to keep my seedlings cosy.
gone to pot :D

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 13:27:58 »
Do watch out for frost even with your plastic greenhouse. I have one and it doesn't seem to protect against frost. I've covered it in fleece to keep my seedlings cosy.

Ahh mine has a plastic cover and a proper cover of bubblewrap too, so I am hoping that is ok.  If not, like my poorly lettuces, I will have to start again.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 14:30:30 »
The plastic greenhouse is what I used to put my in to harden them up. Not so sure about the row spacing. On my allotment I have divided the plot into 10' X 4' beds. Basically I am planting the Broad beans out in a block planting system. Which is spacing the plants equidistantly at 30cm(12"). I think the row spacing you are talking about is more the traditional. I refer a lot to a book called the 'Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening' by Pauline Pears. It is published by Dorling Kindsley. I initially got it out from a local library but found it so useful that I went out and bought a copy. It was half-price when I bought it so pretty good value!!! Also worth a visit is www.hdra.ord.uk they are the major organic movement people in this country. Even if you are not into organic gardening they do have a lot of useful factsheets on their website as well as monthly tips. Good luck with the beans.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 14:31:54 »
sorry that should be www.hdra.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal