Author Topic: My other early birthday pressie has come  (Read 3929 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
My other early birthday pressie has come
« on: March 23, 2004, 22:36:06 »
Yup, my asparagus, which is my early birthday pressie from my mummy, (only 8 months early  ::))has arrived, so, weather permitting, will be down on the plot first thing tomorrow to get it in.

I watched Monty plant his the other day on GW, so, the plan of attack is, dig a good trench, get some compost mixed into the base, back a ridge, and plant the 'crowns' roots dangling down over the ridge.  Cover and almost kinda earth up a bit, so they are really in quite deep.  Does this sound about right?   ;D

Hugh_Jones

Re:My other early birthday pressie has come
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 23:22:01 »
Your trench needs to be good and deep - preferrably about 18 inches or so with the compost well worked into the bottom.  The ridge should be built up along the centre of the trench so that the crown sits on top with its roots dangling either side.  The ridge should be of such a height that when you fill in you can still cover the crowns to a depth of 5 inches.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 07:05:48 »
So - the depth - is that why mine has never given a really  good crop?

I think she's latched onto  the 'dangly' bit!! = Tim

rdak

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:04:35 »
I'm doing it the hard way...sowed my 80 asparagus seeds yesterday in cell inserts. I've heard I should weed out the female plants...hmm, how do I tell the difference? The ones that nag?  ::)

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 10:52:35 »
The ones that give you a slap when you try to tease them out.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

rdak

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 10:58:20 »
sounds about right!  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 12:34:58 »
Wow, that is deep!  Didn't get down there today as our daughter has an upset tum, but will be down there tomorrow.  Now, I must make sure I take my tape measure so I can get the depth about right.  Do I need to add any fertiliser once they are in, top dressing so to speak, or will the compost be enough for now?

LOL Ten & Ross!  hehehe  ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 15:31:36 »
Nice one Tenuse .
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 16:39:50 »
EJ, if your soil is in good condition there is little point in adding ordinary NPK fertilizers at the moment, but a generous helping of bonemeal (which will last a good two years in the soil) will be well rewarded later.

I should also have mentioned that asparagus roots are very delicate, and should not be exposed any longer than absolutely necessary, so, having prepared the trench don`t lay the plants all the way along it before starting to backfill, but cover each plant`s roots individually as soon as you have positioned it, and then complete the backfilling after you have done the whole trench. In the meantime keep the roots moist.

I could also have been a bit more explicit over your compost.  If any of it is only partly rotted, use this for the bottom spit of the trench, and use only the finest stuff in the top spit.  Add the bonemeal to the top spit, at a good handful per square yard (wear rubber gloves), mixing it into the soil as you backfill over the roots - but don`t put it directly onto the exposed roots.

Do you know how old your roots are? It is important, as asparagus should not be cut until it is about 4 years old, so if you have (expensive) 3 year roots you can take a light cut next year, but if they are 2 year olds you should wait until 06.

Tim, I was under the impression that your soil was clay. Asparagus really do need good drainage, and on clay asparagus beds always used either to be raised, or alternatively had lots of grit and rubble dug into the 3rd spit down.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 18:06:06 »
ROSS - I've said this before, but a repeat can't hurt. Be warned!
We, too, sowed and got some lovely plants. Patiently waited till the year came when we could cut. (My tears are starting already!). Our occasional thickhead came in and brightly said - oh, and I've put the rotovator over that bare patch to clean it up. Still sends shivers down my spine!  £"£$%^&**(())__+

HUGH - NO dispute, but why do none of my references - one going back to the '30s - suggest more than 8" deep? Wish I could believe them, having just ordered another lot!! = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 21:49:34 »
Quite frankly Tim, I would regard 18" depth of cultivation (with compost dug in to both top and bottom spits) as the norm for any permanent crop, and I`ve used the same for permanent plantings of rhubarb, gooseberries, and all the colours of currants.

However, as to references:
(1) Coutts, Osborn & Edwards (1930) advocate deep cultivation and manuring in clay soils, and 4ft in light sandy soils.

(2) L.N.Flawn (1962) advocates 2 full spits - more in heavy soils, with drainage added.

(3) Witham Fogg (1966) says an absolute minimum depth of 18 inches - more with grit added in heavy soils.

Regrettably I can`t tell you what David C. Clarke`s Boys Own Book of Gardening for Beginners suggests, but it might be fun to ask him

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 22:31:34 »
Thanks Hugh, technical stuff.  They are 3 year old crowns so I should be able to pick a little next year.  Yum.  Shall buy some bonemeal on the way to the lottie tomorrow then.  ;D

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 18:42:40 »
Not sure if Ross's question about how to tell which asparagus plants are female was a serious one but the answer is that you have to wait until after picking when they have grown on. The female ones will have berries on.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 19:37:26 »
For the past couple of years I've been thinking about growing asparagus and Bill keeps dissuading(???) me by saying oh it all needs to be pretty precise takes up a fair bit of ground and takes quite a long time - knowing full well that I'm a slap-happy gardener who looks for results next day - maybe he has a point after all!!  But oh the thought of those tender tips just dripping butter -  :P

Good luck Emma-Jane to the whatsits the reward!

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 02:21:43 »
Anyone contemplating growing asparagus might like to know that there is a new purple variety being offered over here called 'Viola'. Apparently it has 20% more sugar than green varieties and, because it is tetraploid, has bigger spears (presumably while remaining tender) and is more vigorous too.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 12:23:40 »
I know they take up a permanent bed Wicker, but so do fruit bushes, and I wouldn't be without my fruits.  Also, I am the only one in this household that loves asparagus, so to be able to cut and pick my own and sit selfishly eating them, hot and dripping with butter, oh the extravagance!  :P  Also, mine haven't taken up that much space, I was pleasantly suprised.  I have planted them in 2 short rows rather than one long one so they only go about 3/4 of the way across my plot.   ;D

rdak

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 12:28:06 »
my 80 asparagus seeds have been in for nearly 2 weeks and no signs of life yet  :-\

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 12:40:30 »
How much room does asparagus take up and how much of a crop would you get off each plant?

My space is very precious, but I do love asparagus!
gone to pot :D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 13:57:30 »
Hi Aquilegia - my first asparagus bed was about 5 foot long by 18 inches wide (?) by the time I'd "mounded" it.  They need to be planted about 12 inches apart.  

It gave enough for two pickings in the best year so far - about the size of the bundles you get in the market.   I could probably have a got a bit more too, if I'd been a bit smarter with harvesting.

I now have a 10-12 foot bed!  Much more interesting!  :)

All best, Gavin

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 09:21:58 »
I wonder if asparagus would grow in a pot  ;D ;D ;D
I'm joking I think  ;)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal