Author Topic: chooks on allotment-winter water?  (Read 1780 times)

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
chooks on allotment-winter water?
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:24:25 »
I was thinking about the possiblity of keeping a few hens on my new allotment when I get it but am worried about water.
The water is turned off for the winter so I would have 2 options.  Either bring water from home every day (I don't drive so would have to carry it for the half hour walk) or collect rain water.
The problem with the rain water is bird flu.  I am fully expecting the scare to be whipped up again this winter/spring as it didn't come this year.  Forgetting that most of what we will see and hear will be media frenzy, if bird flu did come then surely using rain water (which will most likely have come in contact with wild bird poo when running off whatever roof used to collect) would be a risk.
I have already had to give up keeping chooks once and would hate to get back into it all only to have to give more up. :-\ :-\
Anyone have the same problem, if so what do you do?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: chooks on allotment-winter water?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 14:16:28 »
Where is the local pub to your allotments,
 I know Bradwell lottie  have a couple of pubs near by and would surly let you fill up a water container for chucks?
I am full of bright ideas.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: chooks on allotment-winter water?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 16:16:06 »
We dont have any water on our lotty and i plan on moving all my chooks up there within the next 6-8 weeks.

Not sure how many chooks you plan to keep but even a 2L milk container (or 2) carried up isnt that heavy... thats what i plan to do unless i get a car in the meantime.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal