Author Topic: Ideas for awkward border anyone  (Read 1761 times)

AndrewB

• Half Acre
Ideas for awkward border anyone
« on: June 26, 2006, 19:10:11 »
I have a very small border at the front of the house, about 10ft long starts from a point and goes out into a triangle shape about 2 ft wide at the widest end.  Very shallow soil.   I have put a variety of bedding in there which has done ok but I'm looking for a more stylish and long term idea. Have thought of a lavender hedge but not sure about the shallow soil and it doesn't get much sun.  Have thought of just gravel but it seems a shame.  Any ideas appreciated.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Ideas for awkward border anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 21:29:54 »
Nepeta (catmint) would give you scented foliage and blue flowers and cope much better with shade than lavender.   Phlox would also cope well and broaden your colour range.

You could investigate to see if any of the standard alpine plants can cope with semi shade as they will appreciate dry conditions and poor soil and look well with a mulch of gravel.

I'm assuming since the soil is shallow it is also well-drained.   If you can dig in loads of compost and well-rotted manure to improve moisture retention it would increase the possibilities.
Obxx - Vendée France

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 18:04:44 »
Yes the soil is well drained, hadn't thought of catmint have some in the main garden which cats have flattened but they are less likely to do that in the front so may give that a go

thanks

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 18:35:29 »
Bergenia? Loads of varieties, don't mind shade, some have flowers and foliage that turns red in winter :)
http://www.bethchattoshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 15:41:57 »
You dont say what sort of soil it is - is it acid or alkaline, clay, sand, chalk?

Many herbaceous perennials dont mind shallow soil and a bit of light shade, nor do many ornamental grasses. Maybe you could combine perennials and grasses with gravel? That would look nice.

i think though if you can some soil improvement will be helpfull, depending on the soil type, and will increase the range of plants you could grow. if nothing else it would bulk up the soil and increase its depth.

Do some research in books or the internet on plants for specific sites and soils, that will give you a better idea of what you could grow.

Hope this helps

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 18:23:01 »
Its so shallow I am probably going to dig it out and replace when I decide what to put in there.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 23:38:13 »
Its so shallow I am probably going to dig it out and replace when I decide what to put in there.

Best of luck then! Most of the soil in my garden is shallow too. Or was, plenty of double digging required!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal