Author Topic: Enviromesh - where from?  (Read 4517 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Enviromesh - where from?
« on: June 23, 2006, 13:46:44 »
I went to our local garden cente (quite a large store) but they didn't stock Enviromesh.  I want some to go over my brassicas (as I am a little adverse to caterpillars!).
Has anyone bought online and if so any website recommendations - how much should I be looking to pay per sqm?

Thanks
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Enviromesh - where from?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 14:02:17 »
Supersprout recommended
Enviromesh Insect Protection Netting
2.1m+extra value 50m roll
GDN-017   £125.00
From Harrod Horticultural

They were out of stock so I ordered the same quantity from agralan.co.uk for £106 including postage. I haven't got it yet so I can't comment on the service and quality.

If you want less they also both sell in smaller quantities. I think these 2 are cheaper then eg Organic Gardening Catalogue, T&M etc

I want to use it for brassica but also carrots etc.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 14:08:38 »
I got mine from the Organic Gardening Catalogue at £19.75 a pack. Bought some other stuff too to take it to free P&P and I'm an HDRA member so got some £ off too.

That was for the Ultra-fine enviromesh, pack of 4.7x2.1m.

They sell the normal stuff at 4.5x2.1m for £17.40.

Either type, be careful when pegging down to keep the mesh structure intact and not pull it apart. That lets things in! Just roll any spare up and peg with green netting pegs so it doesn't snag.

I bought Ultra-fine because I get terrible flea beetle. You ought to see the red cabbages I'm growing under it. They're about 2' across now, and have just started to heart. Not taking off the mesh as it keeps out whitefly and cabbage aphid too!

You can also buy direct from Agralan though I think their prices don't include VAT or P&P.

moonbells (converted!)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 14:16:19 »
I bought some of the ultra-fine stuff too from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.  It arrived today (ordered on 5th June). I'd ordered from Harrods horticultural first, but cancelled my order after 5 weeks.

Moonbells, do you leave the ultra-fine enviromesh on for a long time? On the Agralan note it said 'not recommended for long term covering (more than 8 weeks)' ???.
I've planted out some savoy cabbages and want to intersow with rocket and mizuna, then cover the lot with the mesh.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 16:48:50 »
Agralan's prices do include VAT and they charged me £1 for p&P. They have 2.1mx4.5m Enviromesh for £14.95 (+p&p). The Ultra fine is £19.95 but it doesn't say what the dimensions are.

Like Supersprout I wanted the large 50 metre roll as I grow in beds and can cut it to fit.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 17:02:50 »
Thanks all - I found some on Suttons in the end - they have an offer of 2 2.1x4.5m for £26.90 + 3.50 P&P.  It wasn't the ultrafine though so I hope it keeps the crawlies out!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 17:11:18 »
Kay's is - for instance - £74 for 25m X 3.2m. That's 'fine'.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 17:12:18 »
Glad you found something suitable.  :) I think it's good for everything except Flea Beetle for which you need the finer gauge ultra-fine stuff.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 17:19:48 »
Why, by the way, should it not be left on? Ours is.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 18:17:05 »
Mine too, til the plants push it off! :P

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 08:21:48 »
We buy Enviromesh in 100M rolls 2.1M wide for £149.33. I'm sure most allotment shops could get it for about the same price.
It sometimes seems a shame more people don't find their nearest and support it. This isn't intended as a criticism but with 3300 allotments in Nottingham, allotment shops could be significant if all the trade went through them, and they are invariably cheaper for anything Wilko's don't sell.
One of our outside visitors has been buying 6X for years ( currently £5.99 for 10 kg everywhere) without realising we sell the same thing for £6.99 for 20 kg.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 09:59:27 »
Lucky you! We don't have an allotment shop and the local place where we have a discount is open during my working hours only! :'( :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal