Author Topic: I hear THUNDER!  (Read 6904 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
I hear THUNDER!
« on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:01 »
...pitter patter raindrops,
veggies wet through.
Hope yours are, too..

;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: I hear THUNDER!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:39:40 »
been piddling down since at least 4.30am (which is when it woke me up)  :-[

something very satisfying though, about walking round the garden in the pouring rain cutting salad for the lunch box with only the birds to keep me company.

i think the sweetpeas have been on steroids and as long as the temperature doesn't drop i might have about 8 more lily blooms by tonight.

i wouldn't mind a wee bit of sun from 4pm onwards though if we could manage it please.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:50:30 »
We have had none and have only 2mm forecast for the next week.

No doubt when we do get some it will be a torrent, we rarely seem to get light rain here. The end of June, normally around the solstice always seems to suffer from very heavy rain storms.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:51:01 »
Looking at the forecast on the news, I think it is going to rain everywhere but here :'(

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:21:59 »
As we speak I can hear it drumming on the conservatory roof.  Excellent stuff!

This gardening really changes your attitude to the weather, doesn't it?  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 08:27:41 »
I am hoping, but at the moment it is tropical here in Essex!  I am off to have my long blonde locks cut short this morning to keep me cool.  Have towels on the washing line so hope it doesn't rain before I get home!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 08:39:13 »
Just walked to work in the most amazing electric storm ... got a bit wet too  :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:26 »
EJ, how does the rest of the family feel about you being shorn?  My lot hate it when I go to the hairdressers, just in case I come back with a radical new look, which often happens.  I tell them "if you want long hair, grow your's long!"

One time I came back with my hair about 8" shorter than it had been that morning and for the rest of the day No2 son kept stroking my hair, asking if we could use glue to stick my hair back on ;D ;D

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:06:40 »
Oh I hope it comes this way, it hot and dry here again today, my veggies are desperate for some water.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:25 »
Even up here in the North East, we could do with a good shower.  A bit hazy and overcast today, so you never know!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:28:28 »
And my water butts need topping up too, at least these heavy showers should contribute there ... I generally reckon if I have full butts at the end of June, then I can manage until the end of August, by which time we have normally had some rain.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 11:34:05 »
I told the kids to look hard for me when they come out of school in case they don't recognise me!  ;D  I had about 3 inches taken off and lots of nice chunky layers put in.  Looks fab!  Best haircut I think I have ever had!!  Well worth the dosh, and it was cheap because it was a mum from school who is a mobile hairdresser that did it for me!  Well chuffed!  Daughter number one worries that i will look like a boy, but it looks so girlie and pretty!  Not like me at all!!

Anyhow, back on track with the weather.  Balmy and clear skies here!  Wish it would rain a little as I am supposed to water old Jacks plot tomorrow as he is away on holiday.

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 11:45:24 »
I am hoping, but at the moment it is tropical here in Essex!  I am off to have my long blonde locks cut short this morning to keep me cool.  Have towels on the washing line so hope it doesn't rain before I get home!

I am considering reducing my blonde locks too. I have just reduced my winter beard to half an inch, I was going to shave it off completly but realised I would have a luminous white chin.

amphibian

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 11:54:58 »
Yay, we now have 7.2mm of rain forecast for today.

I am very pleased.   :)

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 12:33:00 »
Did an early stint at 6.30am and got drenched had to go home at 6.20am!!!!!!!!!!
Marigold

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 14:11:22 »
Yay, we now have 7.2mm of rain forecast for today.

I am very pleased.   :)

Doh! I was looking at the wrong forecast.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 15:36:18 »
Another heavy shower here this morning. Doing dreadful things to my finances as I'd got 3 lucrative glysophating jobs booked for this week starting today & don't think I'll have a 6hr rain-free period for any of them if Metcheck is doing the bizz.....doing wondrous things for my crops, tho :D

Got a feeling I should be on Aphid and Slug Alert - really humid now.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 17:31:24 »
We had a thunderstorm forst thing, then thunder again later in the day. It doesn't seem to have affected the heat much though; it was absolutely horrible in school.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 18:26:38 »

Doh! I was looking at the wrong forecast.
[/quote]

You had me all excited there for a mo!!

I did wonder!!!  Grounds cracking, extra water butts set up in the form of old dustbins, and nought in sight! :'( :'(
And the worst thing is it is too hot to plot!! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Yellow Petals

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 18:58:28 »
It's 30 here and unbearably stifling (sp?)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal