Author Topic: Dennis dilemma  (Read 2776 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Dennis dilemma
« on: June 10, 2006, 11:13:46 »
Yesterday my son went in to the chook house to collect the eggs and Dennis went for him when he stepped through the door :(  It was a half hearted attempt from Dennis and my son booted him before he got close but was very upset and had had an awful fright.

I was walking around with Dennis under my arm the day before and my daughter and her friend were stroking him.

I can't think of a reason for Dennis' behaviour other than my son hasn't been paying him the attention he used to and maybe Dennis sees him as a threat now,just something to clear out of his territory.

We all like Dennis loads but as you know never intended on having a cockerel.  He pesters the girls constantly and makes alot of noise!!!My OH and myself are thinking he has to go...we had no hesitation when Jesse turned aggressive. Jesse was dispatched within the hour.But this is Dennis!! :( :(

I really don't want him to be killed. I can't imagine anyone wanting him...even though he can be handled. He obviously isn't the pure bred Light Sussex he should be...too much ginger!!! So no use for breeding.

If my son was a bit older and a bit bigger I'd tell him to go and lay the law down to Dennis. Maybe I should go in the pen with my son and reintroduce them??  Dennis doesn't like the broom so we'd take that in...not that he goes for me because I'm picking him up and fussing him all the time.

My son desperately doesn't want Dennis to go and has been crying at the prospect  :'(.

Sigh ...what to do...what to do ???  :(

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Dennis dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:38:57 »
Im not sure how old your son is but i think if you helped him put dennis in his place it may help the situation.

Your son needs to get Dennis behind his neck and push his head down to the ground firmly - dennis may struggle but your son needs to be firm and hold him down. When he stops struggling release him.  That will show dennis that he isnt top dog and he 'shouldnt' go for your son again!  It may take a few goes over a few days.

Obviously if dennis doesnt get put in his place he may get worse.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 13:08:41 »
So sorry to hear that Dennis has been agressive towards Ben and he used to sit on his lap I seem to remember.  Can understand why he is upset.  :'(
I agree that he needs to be shown who is boss.  Hope the problem is soon resolved.

MM

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 13:23:19 »
Just an idea as this is so out of charter for Dennis It could be the heat effecting him.
Get your son to hand feed him lettuce leaves from the fridge this will cool Dennis down and he will happy to see your son again.
All animals are effected by this hot weather and act differently

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 20:19:16 »
dont wish to be a jeremiah but our banty cockerel used to hate me collecting eggs and i probably still have the spur scars on my head underneath me thatch!
he was a s*d he was-went to the great barnyard in the sky curtesy of a .22-necessary i'm afraid as i could trust t he psychopath with anyone.....
:^(i still feel sad about him and if i have hens again i wont be having a boy hen!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:20:26 »
i wont be having a boy hen!
kitty

Wow that sounds like a confused creature :o ;) ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 19:42:27 »
Thanks for the replies folks!

Yesterday I went into the pen to collect the eggs...Dennis went for me!!  I have to say it was a pathetic few steps and then he backed straight off...I wasn't impressed with him and threw the plastic tub I collect the eggs with after his sorry ass as he dived through the pop hole.  Missed by a mile!

Later OH went into the outside pen to get the water feeder and Dennis really had a go at him. I'm afraid OH lost it a bit and booted Dennis,Dennis went scrurrying off and hid in the corner and played dead...I wasn't impressed with either of them...OH because the kids were about and Dennis for doing it again.  OH has a scrape on his shin.

Today Dennis has not wanted to come anywhere near us,unfortunately my son wasn't with us today so we didn't get to see if Den was going to be ok with him. Ben does need to show him who's boss. He's only eight and now I suspect lost confidence in Dennis. So have I if truth be known.

I'll defo try the lettuce teresa. OH is resolute that Dennis has to go. I'm unsure as it is so out of character...Ben used to walk around with Den on his head...before he got too heavy!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 19:58:37 »
Oh Heldi, I am sorry, but reports of hens being ill due to the heat, broodys leaving their nests ( one thing they dont normaly do will sit untill the bitter end) its just like years ago when alsations ( normaly happy healthy good natured dogs/bitches) were attacking owners, children being realy aggressive many got put down.
They said it was the heat in the end that made them act that way.
you could try moving him into isolation to cure him

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 20:31:51 »
Heldi I feel teresa could be right, I know this heat makes me more ratty, ahem.  I just can't cope with it  ::)
Because he's been so nice in the past I think he deserves a little perseverance and at the same time you could ask around to see if anyone would give him a home

MM

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 20:54:15 »
We came away from the lotty today as we couldn't take the heat.

I'm mullings lots of things over. I don't want to give up on him just yet,you are right,he deserves a chance.

We've nursed him through a mystery illness,taken him to the vets,played with him,admired him,laughed at him.

We worked out that he is probably a year old this month and wondered if his Rooster juices had gone into booster?!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 20:58:00 »
Yep you've been through quite a bit with him one way or another.  Lets hope it gets a bit cooler soon as that might help :)

MM

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 15:26:26 »
Helds, know nothing about chickens (well, cept for quite a few ways of cooking 'em :-\) but wondered...could you arm Ben with one of those high-pressure water pistols for the time being?  Local cats here hate it ;D Do hope that it's the heat causing Den's bad temper......you'll hate to see him go, and I'll hate not reading about his antics :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal