Author Topic: Strawberry runners  (Read 2199 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Strawberry runners
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:54:15 »
Hello again,

I've got a question which hopefully you'll be able to help with. I planted out 24 strawberry plants in April and have loads of green strawberries waiting to mature. I've been cutting the runners to direct the energy to fruit production, but I also want to grow some runners on to start 24 plants for next year. When should I start growing the runners on? will runners keep getting produced after the fruits are all gone? I'm afraid I'll keep on cutting them and the plants will at some point stop producing them and I'll be left with no new plants for next year.

Thanks again,
Vaca

Vez1

• Half Acre
Re: Strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 13:15:29 »
I waited until the little straberry plant on the runner was big enough and stuck it in a little pot. They all seemed to come on quite well. Not sure when they stopped production.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 13:46:08 »
ok, but should I start this now? while the fruits are maturing? or should I keep on cutting them off and only think about growing new plants from shoots once I've harvested most or all of the fruit?

Vaca

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 14:47:42 »
As these are maiden plants I would remove the runners at this stage and after cropping give the plants a feed and then start rotting runners into the autumn.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 17:07:28 »
as Sandersj89 said, take the runners off now, after they have cropped you will get loads of runners for next year, left to their own devices strawberries would take over a garden

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 18:00:57 »
I agree with Sanders & Simon and to add to their advice I only take runners from the plants that fruited best.

Obviously I marked the best plants when harvesting the fruit with a plant label or stick so that I new one from the other when I came to take the runners.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 23:43:14 »
Thanks to everyone for the advice that's exactly what I was after. Went by the allotment today and have found my first two strawberries turning red  :) :) :)

hopefully I'll get to them before the slugs do ;D

Vaca

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 10:24:40 »
Can I borrow this thread to ask a question about Strawberry runners.

I 'rescued' some plants from my plot, which I took over earlier this year.  I replanted 30 plants in a new bed, with lots of manure.  They have surpassed my expections and I have already picked a large punnet of fruit :D

some of the plants are now sending out runners.  Judging by the comments on this thread, I should remove these while the plants are still fruiting?

Once the runners have formed, do I need to do anything to get them to root - like peg them to the ground or do they sort themselves out.

Sorry for such a basic question but I really don't know :-[

TIA

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 14:05:40 »
I root runners in 4 or 6 inch pots filled with soil. I peg the plantlets down in the top of the pot with a pirce of bent wire.

I can then plant out the new plants when and where I want them.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 14:44:40 »
Thanks Jerry, that's what I'll do - but when?  now or after fruiting???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 15:08:38 »
This an extract from my website which basically reiterates what the others have said.

Week 27-29; Propagate new plants by pegging down runners from vigorous and disease free plants into the soil or compost filled pots.

Peg down (layer)no more than five runners per plant, using Vee-shaped pieces of wire about 100mm (4”) long and leave to root.

Rooting should take place in 4-6 weeks.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Strawberries.htm

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 18:39:53 »
Glad to see you are posting again Tee Gee.  :)  I have never stopped the runners from running....amd must say, my fruit doesn't seem to suffer for it.  i do cut them off if they are going in the wrong direction as I am planning to slowely move the strawberry bed up the allotment as I replace old plants with new, so the bed is in effect, rotated.  Picked lots today.  Daughter number one had pink fingers, and the strawbs were devine!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 10:38:10 »
Quote; Glad to see you are posting again Tee Gee.

Its not that I have not been posting its just I don't bother going over the same ground if someone has already given the same information as I would have.

Added to which, it takes me ages to 'one finger' type replies. ;D >:(

As always I will keep on looking in and if I have anything to add to a thread I will!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 20:28:16 »
I generally allow two runners per plant to develop, and let it root into the soil, the rooting seems to start happening in the next month or so. Sometimes the runner produces another runner after rooting, but I cut these off, as I feel they must be a drain on the resources of the original rooted runner.
Then in September roughly, I separate them, dig them up and plant them in their new bed. Pots are fine, but I do think you have to get them into the ground in autumn - I always do this, and they always fruit ok the following year. You also don't have to worry about watering, or roots freezing when they're in the ground.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 20:36:57 »
I have acquired some vigorous looking plants this year, and will propogate further runners for an increased crop next year. Thank you for the advice ... :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 21:20:34 »
Tee Gee advice is good.
I would add that the first runner is the one to propagate (strength in the first). There will be plenty of them!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal