Author Topic: Manual lawnmower  (Read 2375 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Manual lawnmower
« on: June 06, 2006, 14:54:02 »
Our electric mower has just bitten the dust and since we have very little lawn at home & use a petrol strimmer at the allotment, we thought we might try a manual mower as a cheaper & greener option. What are the pros & cons & can anyone recommend a good one, please?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Manual lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 14:59:23 »
I think if you are just mowing strips then its a good idea but if you have ALOT to mow you will find it hard work.  I guess it depends on how much time, how much energy you have and how much you need to mow.  Good thing is you dont have to keep emptying the grass box!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 21:52:09 »
I use a manual for a tiny lawn, and my daughter does for one about 5 times bigger. I mowed her lawn today and I think the manuals are lighter and quieter than others I have used on much larger lawns (mainly ancient petrol driven rotaries, though).

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 21:53:00 »
And I did keep emptying the grass box....

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 22:34:43 »
You must have a posh model Artichoke LOL :P

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:45:26 »
Posh model??? £25 second hand from people who bought it to mow their son's grave, sadly; they found it was easier to clip the grass. I bought daughter's from B&Q for about £35 new, complete with grass box (and some misgivings about its lasting power/flimsiness etc) and it is still doing really well after a couple of year's continuous use.

However, I am thinking of getting another rusty old rotary for new allotment, as ground is like concrete and I am not going to manage digging it over for months.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 13:18:46 »
Push mowers are great, they keep you fit, cheap to run, you never run out of fuel, if you get an old rear roller one the lawn looks great afterwards, very quite, not very appealing to pillfer'ers etc......
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 13:22:48 »
Been using a hand-mower for more than 30 years now. I change it about every tenth year. Power mowers are noisy, costly, smelly and need maintenance. It also helps to keep me fit and my 'lawn' is still as healthy as can be.

I can only recommend it.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 15:13:18 »
Push mowers are great, they keep you fit, cheap to run, you never run out of fuel, if you get an old rear roller one the lawn looks great afterwards, very quite, not very appealing to pillfer'ers etc......

When are you coming round to do my lawn, then?
 ;D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 16:03:49 »
Can they cope with long grass?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 16:07:42 »
No!  :( They work ony if you use them regularly enough for the grass to be reasonably short and level.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 08:39:55 »
Thanks, everyone- no specific recommendations on make, so I guess I'll go to B&Q & get whatever's cheapest- assuming you can still buy such low-tech gear these days!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 09:02:14 »
I have a vague memory that I couldn't find any in B&Q or Homebase and ended up buying online. (Homebase I think :-\)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal