Author Topic: Raspberry rust  (Read 2353 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Raspberry rust
« on: June 01, 2006, 17:59:07 »
Advice please. A few of my raspberries are showing orange rust spots. What is the best way to deal with this?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Raspberry rust
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 21:27:09 »
Any chance of a picture? are the spots small, yellowish and scattered over the leaves? Could be leaf spot, or if they are larger, more orange patches, could be rust. Either way, a fungicide based on copper such as B&Q Garden Fungicide spray, or based on sulphur, such as PBI Organic Fungus control will help, as will picking off and destroying affected leaves, and increasing air circulation.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 14:19:10 »
I'm not very good on pictures, but they are small raised orange spots and scattered over the leaves so I think it must be leaf spot. I have picked of a lot of the leaves so I will try one of the sprays.
Do you know whether  the fungus gets into the plant and will therefore  will get the same problem next year?
Many thanks

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 22:38:53 »
The fungus doesn't get into the plant, so much as get onto the plant. It will be present, and the best thing you can do is try and improve the environment - reduce humidity by increasing air circulation, collect up and dispose of dead leaves at the end of the year elsewhere.
You could try a preventative spray of fungicide in say, early May next year. Leaf spot isn't too serious, so don't worry too much, it may be controlled by just picking off leaves as soon as you see symptoms - like a lot of problems, if you catch it early it's more controllable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal