Author Topic: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!  (Read 17689 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2006, 23:58:37 »
Good luck with your hatch Teresa!!

No. 2 is on its way out... its a banty black orpington - shuold be out tomorrow morning when i get up.  The little silkie is sat next to orp and they are cheeping together!

This is soooo exciting!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:58 »
The little black orpy emerged at 2am - and now a little pekin is pipping! Hope the rest start soon... the 1st 2 are almost dry now!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2006, 09:08:02 »
This is soooo exciting! I know nowt about hens, but learning fast ::) ;)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2006, 09:37:58 »
 Thanks OO
there getting a move on then, that little white silki chick is doing a good job getting the others to pip. More cheeping more chicks pip.
One of each so far keep going how many more eggs to hatch?
supersprout its is exciting hatching, as a child with mum in mid Wales hatching eggs oh the excitement, now in my 50's hatching with broodys and incubator when that first chick pips and hatches the rush of excitement is still there. Something special about bringing a life into this world.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2006, 10:08:24 »
Glad im not the only one! My OH says I'm 'wierd' to get so excited. He said he has never known a child get as excited as I do... says i have no control over my emotions!  Oh and he added 'I dread to think how you will cope if something awful happens'.  ;D

Theres 25 eggs left in the hatcher! And only one of them has pipped  :(

The little bantam orp has done a green poo on the towel - is this normal? I'm thinking meconium but the silkie hasnt!  ???

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2006, 13:35:35 »
Oh dont worry too much about the colour its like all babies discusting what comes out to start with if you are worried you can get chick crumbs with the antibiotic in them but honestly I have done fine on normal chick crumbs and clean water. As long as everything is keept clean water,food, and living aera for them they will be fine.
I am fussy I wash hands before and after even now better safe than sorry.
25 to go they will get going soon.
My OH though I was crazy hatching and when I bought a incubator well should have heard him go on.
But now he's so into it when they hatch and running round he's in there talking to them.
Our babies and toddlers he's back and fro giving them grass and lettuce hes worse then me ha ha.
You should see the poo after lettuce but they do love it little at a time hee hee it wizzes out the other end.
After what you have gone through so far with trying to hatch some the worse that can happen now is sprayed legs.
Just have some plasters ready 1/4 inch width and you should be fine.
keep going your doing a great job

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2006, 13:52:57 »
The pekin is out! it look black - was hoping for some red ones!

None of the others have started  :-\

But the other 2 are fine - pekin is still really wet but lovely and not making much efforts to move about, oh and i can see the navel bit - its all pink and sticking out, hope it will be ok.

I think OH would be fine if i spent less time on pc and at the incubator and more time on housework and cleaning the chickens mess outside LOL... best go do it before he goes mad hehehe

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2006, 10:00:40 »
Oh any more on the way?
Chicks will start off one colour but not always stay that colour, had a silki X started black ( so excited) and ended up partridge.
How's the pekins navel if its still iffy you can bath with salt water and cotten wool twice a day it will heal up and feather no problems.
OO I am the one which digs the runs over, sweeps the woodshavings out and wash and scrub out with jeyes f. Even the one greenhouse which is a temp home for young ones.
I come in smelling like a rose garden OH's face is a pic but he cannot pick the dog poo up.
But he is a great cook and not afraid of the hover so cannot complain.
Think they call it job share hee heee.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2006, 12:24:19 »
Hi teresa

My OH cannot pick up dog poo or chicken poo either LOL.. i'm a hands on person - and job sharing is great!

Nothing else happeneing -  i opened the only poland egg - it had pipped the internal membrane but died before it pipped the shell... seems i am gonna have quite a few like that  ??? as i also opened a barred rock and it was the same.

I cant quite understand why i have had 3 great ones and the most of the others seem to have died before pipping - something mustve happened in the past couple of days i reckon with the temps - thats all i can think of!

The other 3 are doing great - the silkie and orp are little buggers and the pekin is very sweet.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2006, 12:46:50 »
Temp changing dont help,
but it does sound like moisture in the shell humidity, when the chick breaks the membrane if there is moisture in air sac they can drown.
First time I hatched, manufacture said water in from day one non hatched so reading this can cause chicks to drown.
So now only put water in 3 days before hatching.
Did not have a candler then and could not bring myself to crack open shell. Different now getting harder hee hee just have to know what went wrong.
Glad the 3 are doing well hope some more hatch for you.
have you been tempted to candle any or are you leaving it to nature for a few days then try ?
I wont ask how much these 3 chicks cost in total but pure breeds still cheeper to hatch than buy.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2006, 18:56:06 »
I wont ask how much these 3 chicks cost in total but pure breeds still cheeper to hatch than buy.

Cheeper .............. I like it.

Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep  

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2006, 08:57:01 »
OO any more out?
Mine are off and running well ?
2 hatched and 1 pipping cannot see at the back of hen so fingers crossed,
very nervours me first time broody just hope she does not stand on any.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2006, 09:07:38 »
Oooo thats great Teresa!!!! No more out here - a black silkie started and then died with its head out!???

I think i'll leave it til tonight then turn it off and give it a scrub... my mum forgot to take her orpy eggs home so i might put those in later hehehe.

Good luck with the broody - its all exciting isnt it!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2006, 09:30:32 »
Oh OO that is so sad about the black silki to get so far and die how strange?
How many days over now are you? do try and candle before switching off just in case.
I am proud of my pullet bless her, first time broody, but the chicks not making a sound, shes talking to them but saw a yellow bum then a pair of grey legs standing so alive but so quiet.
Not like the chicks in the incubator at all noisy lot they were.
I have eggs under her sister now to keep her in one place its all go have to move the cockrel somewhere hes protecting the sister at the moment.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2006, 10:27:43 »
Sounds like you have your hands full! LOL

I candled eggs - all look dead so carefully opened them ALL... ALL dead, ALL perfectly formed, none of them had absorbed the yolk! 

Just cleaning the bator now and will set the orpy eggs.  OH is not going to be pleased as he wants the lamp back in the room which i've pinched.

Sooooo the saga continues......

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2006, 12:30:43 »
Oh thats a shame, so your trying again, how many Orpy eggs are you setting?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2006, 16:22:41 »
5 eggs in the bator Teresa!!!

Not sure how this lot will go. but they would only end up in the bin if i dont give them a go.  Will candle again in a few days and see what happens but they are 7-11 days old now and silly me put them on the wet wall of the cellar yesterday so could have fluffed it already!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2006, 16:42:05 »
Well as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.
One chap on a site said he had hatched up to 14 days old eggs after that the fertility goes down acording to him.
Dont know if you have been on this site
http://www.pekinbantams.com/troubleShooting.asp
think I still prefer the US one for problems.
I candle at 7 then 14 days, I cannot see much at a few days eyesite failing with age ha ha, at 7 I am sure of non fertiles and iffy ones at 14 can see whats going on and get dumped.
I do wish you luck with these eggs

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2006, 23:00:34 »
More bad news - the pekin chick keeps shaking its head... I've been advised to cull it if its no better tomorrow!  Of course my daughter adopted this chick!  Fingers crossed!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2006, 23:18:44 »
good luck olive oil, I am so impressed with your patience and tlc with these chooks (egged on by teresa lol) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal