Author Topic: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!  (Read 17685 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2006, 21:06:49 »
Yes fingers crossed Robert.

Oliiiiive! Owt happening yet?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2006, 07:16:15 »
Nowt happening Heidi - You wouldnt believe what happened yesterday GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Plumber came round - been waiting 3 months! Of course the incubator is in the airing cupboard... so i begrudgingly let him in and he was poking about at the emmersion tank and then SHOVED my incubator out the way... after i had said - becareful, theres eggs hatching in there! So i just cringed... and quickly got him out the house agreeing with whatever he was muttering on about.  I didnt want to kick up too much of  a fuss as we are renting and the landlord said 3 chickens - not hatching 30 of the darn things!!!

Of course during this time with the doors open, the temperature dropped! So got it up again, and then about 11pm last night the temp shot up to 40 - eekkkkk.  Did a quick candle this morning on 2 that i know are alive and they moved so phew!!!!

No egg rolling though, no peeping, no pipped eggs YET... but today is only day 20 and i've been told day 21 as i have 'large' banty eggs LOL.   I hate this waiting game!

Robert - what sort of job in school are you applying for??? I've never worked in a school and suddenly I'm getting worried hehe.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2006, 15:10:48 »
Oh OO what a thing with that plumber you must have been shaking in your boots with anger.
One day untill day 21 it is nerve wrecking, dont forget they can go over a few days as well. Dont want to put a damper on you but my black silkies did day 23-24 later one was pulled out of shell had a funny foot and a bump on his bum ( yoke sac not all asorbed ) but is my baby now 4 weeks and a beaut.
Cannot wait till tomorrows esipode, what are you using as a brooder?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2006, 15:16:50 »
Theresa - Yes i'm quite well prepared that tomorrow is prob going to be the very earliest for chicks and most probably the weekend really!

Brooder??? HA funny you should ask... I did plan on putting them in the cellar with heat lamp in a large cardboard box... however, its cold and damp and dark down their - perfect place for coccid... so they cant go tehre.

So that leaves the kitchen in  a box or dining room in a box, or spare room - ype you guessed it - in a box! 

I'll be improvising thats for sure!  Hopefully i will have some sort of housing sorted out to put them in down the lotty when they have feathered up.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2006, 17:26:14 »
Nothing wrong with a box, the shops are only too glad for you to take them away. If you tell them you want it for chicks they give you a funny look ha ha.
I have had some hatches where the chicks loved to peck holes in the box great game for them.
You have the heat sorted so just the saucers for the water and food and your away. I had mine in the spare bedroom thinking quiet for them and everyone who came wanted to see the chicks before us.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2006, 17:31:42 »
Oooh exciting isn't it! 

Keep your eyes peeled Olive...I had one banty start to peck out on the 20th night and the other two came out day and night 21.  You don't want to miss a thing!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2006, 17:41:42 »
Oooh exciting isn't it! 

You don't want to miss a thing!!

AND NEITHER DO WE! (OK OK, I'll stop shouting now, but I'm so excited..Lordy knows how you-all are surviving ::)  :D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2006, 17:54:07 »
Someone on another site said their eggs are rocking - day 19... I'm day 20 why arent they rocking?????????????/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2006, 19:37:42 »
OO your not playing the right music,

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2006, 22:03:50 »
Pah - your not funny!  :P

Change your weblink  ;D ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2006, 23:25:48 »
Done it hee hee,
Hope you had a good nights sleep? or are you sleeping in the airing cuboard?
Fingers crossed for a good hatch tomorrow without problems you have deserved it with all the problems.
Alishka it is nerve wrecking I have been tempted to have a brandy before now to calm my nerves ha ha.
But all worth while when they hatch and fluff up and seeing them run around.
night night all

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2006, 08:11:02 »
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :o :o

SORRY BUT I WAS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING ELSE BEGINNING WITH F AND ENDING IN L....
 :o
Ok got up - temp dropped to 33 aargghhh.  Then just checked and temp is back up again - helped by the hot water being banged on... and i looked and nothing... nothnig moving, no cheeping bugger alL! ???

then i looked again and saw the tiniest little hole in a white silkie egg... i picked it up very very carefully and the darn thing started screaming... not cheeping gosh nearly jumped out my skin the noisy little bugger! ;D

Of course i am at school today sorting out the library at 12noon and i have loads to do witht he kids going away this weekend, but all i wanna do is watch the little chickie dee hatch :P

oh cant believe something is finally happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

wish them all luck and that they hatch out alive!  :P

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  ;D ;D ;D

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2006, 08:19:50 »
Good luck, stay sane.  Been fun watching the saga unfold!!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2006, 09:16:48 »
OliveOil, sometimes they can hatch a day after the others so don't throw the eggs away until you are certain.   :-\

When they have dried after hatching, I put mine in a large cardboard box lined with newspaper with netting over the top
to stop them clambering out and to keep them safe from my cat. 
You will need a heat lamp strung above the box and a thermometer to check the temperature.  If the chicks get too hot
they will move away from the lamp so you may need to raise it a little. 
If they are too cold, they will huddle together beneath it. 
I start mine off on Golden chick crumbs bought from Scats. 
They will need a water dispenser too which will need to be changed frequently
as they tend to poo in it! ::)

Good luck.   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:20:20 by Paulines7 »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2006, 13:44:46 »
OO,
Great news, looks like you got a good one pipping ha ha.
Pity you have to go to work ha ha, I hope all hatch for you , you relay deserve it .
cannot wait to hear how many more have hatched.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2006, 17:34:38 »
Well chick no 1 is out! Only 8 hours after first pip - so pretty good i think!  It seems stuck to membrane though ??? am leaving it alone... nothing else pipping yet - though this little one is making such a racket! I'm sure they will all come out with headaches and attack it for making such a horrendous cheep cheep cheep!  It's really cute - not fluffed up yet!¬

Me and DS saw it hatch out the egg - it was great!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2006, 18:05:17 »
OOOOO OO! ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2006, 18:07:48 »
Oh great is it standing up on legs yet? where is the membrane stuck?
With it cheeping should encourage the others to start pipping soon.
have you got water in the incubator?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2006, 19:57:51 »
yes water in incubator - chick all out now... and wobbly on feet, not stuck anymore.  Hope the others will have started by morning woohoo!  Poor thing looks lonely in there.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2006, 23:11:24 »
Oh bless, great news its a hard job hatching but he/she will be up and at it tomorrow cheeping for the others to come out.
Its going to be a busy weekend for you hope you had nothing planed. ha ha
just put my babies in with toddlers tonight 23.00hrs been introduced for the last 3 days hope all goes well tomorrow.
My broody hen due on Sunday her sister has joined her she is now broody. So she has to be moved tomorrow.
Were off to Spain for a week next Sat so need them all sorted by then. I am so tempted to get some eggs for broody oh well.
Good luck over night

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal