Author Topic: Grass as mulch  (Read 1039 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Grass as mulch
« on: May 28, 2006, 00:45:11 »
last year I volunteered a few times to cut all the grass between the plots and use the grass as mulch on beans etc.
It really stopped the soil drying out.

But
would the gras rotting down extract nitrogen from the soil or add to it as the grass rotted?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Grass as mulch
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:13:37 »
I think it is more straw that takes nitrogen from the soil or compost to help it rot.When grass mowings get left on a lawn by a flymow or such the lawn does not seem to need extra feeding.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 13:44:54 »
There's too much nitrogen in fresh grass cuttings to make good compost on their own, so there won't be any problems here.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 17:22:54 »
Many thanks, will mow and mulch............ :D

Allotment Lady

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 21:07:35 »
Hi Andy

I have used grass cuttings as mulch for years.  They are great for supressing weeds, and last years will have decomposed enough to put more on. 

I use them all around my fruit bushes, and used them on lots of things - like my potato plants to protect them from late frosts last year.

When I am putting them on a new area I make sure that it is after a rainfall to prevent water evaporation.

You just have to watch that fresh lawn cuttings from other people have not been treated with any 'weed and feed' products.  And if you are trying to be organic, then ensure that they have not had any chemicals put on them, like fertilisers or colour enhancers

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 21:57:07 »
ok ta, the bloke that looks after the plots has a tendency to weed kill the edges of plot where people have not cut the grass.

people are getting upset.

He hasn`t done it to me yet as I do cut the grass on the main path now and then and do more than my fair share but was gonna post him a pair of shears!

If he weed kills near my plot then I will be straight round his house and the council, after that, we would no longer be friends >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal