Author Topic: Wild deer  (Read 1542 times)

robm

Wild deer
« on: May 27, 2006, 23:26:33 »
I've been down to the allotment today and found deer footprints they also seem to take a liking for my sweetcorn which I've just planted. Has anyone got tips for stopping the deer.

Thanks

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Wild deer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 18:58:50 »
I do not have deer probs, (thank Goodness!!!) But have heard they do not like the smell of human hair, so a trip to the hairdressers and some tights might be in order!  (shove hair in tights and hang wherever needed)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 23:01:35 »
Shot gun?
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 14:58:25 »
They are keen on beans also, especially the young shoots.  >:(  Chicken wire around your crop maybe, and I agree with DP, I have heard that they don't like our whiff, so human hair poked into pairs of tights and hung around the plot might keep them off.  Nice!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 21:34:25 »
Put a sign up

ROE DEER ON SITE

ROE DEER ON SITE Get it !

ok ok it was just fun
another member of i forgot my password

Ian T

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 21:46:34 »
We have got problems with deer on our allotment and I have just noticed today a baby has appeared. 
Has anyone any experience of the 'pestclear outdoors'?  It has a motion detector and when a deer goes by it emits an ultasonic sound which frightens them off.  It can be run on batteries.
I am thinking of buying one but don't want to waste my cash if they are no good.

Cheers

Ian

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:38 »
We use something similar for deterring cats and it does work. Not sure about deer though as we don't have a deer problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal