Author Topic: Where are my spuds?  (Read 935 times)

AndrewB

• Half Acre
Where are my spuds?
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:41:10 »
I Planted my spuds on April 4th and there's nothing showing yet.  A few rogue ones are coming up where they shoudn't but nothing where they should be. Should I worry yet? I see some people are digging up spuds - I am in the cold North.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Where are my spuds?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:48:19 »
Even in Rossendale I would expect them to have come through by now, which part of Rochdale? is the site shaded that can make a big difference to the soil warming up... should be through soon, if not certain fork up one end of one row and you should find the tuber and shoots!
 ;D

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:55:17 »
I don't know enough about growing spuds to know if you should be worried - or come to that what to do if you are  :) - but I just thought I'd check in as another frozen Northerner.  I live in the North East of England, planted my spuds - earlies and maincrop - on the Easter weekend, and they started peeking through about 3 weeks ago.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 13:13:06 »
My allotment isn't particularly shady,I may dig a few up and see what I find. I have worried about spuds before and they have come up eventually but most other peoples seem to be growing well on nearby plots.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 13:30:42 »
its straange that you have nothing showing yet. funnily enough i planted mine out on the same date.  admittedly i am on the south coast but still it does sound a bit odd.  i would certainly dig one up and see whats occuring.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 13:48:25 »
I planted mine a week later than you sarah, and there are just a couple showing (Kerr's Pink and Pink Fir Apple), all the others are still hidden. I'm in the middle of the country. I planted about 4-6 inches deep - planting depth as well as temperature might affect how fast they come up.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 23:05:56 »
How deep were they planted ? and were they sprutted? >Cheers  Jim
Cheers .. Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal