Author Topic: What are they after??  (Read 2400 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
What are they after??
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:49 »
Conventional wisdom is that most allotment break-ins are in the search for things to sell, particularly power tools. After all, it's hardly likely that people leave piles of cash lying round their shed. I'm starting to get baffled though.

Last Thursday, a number of sheds were broken into. The only things that went were a petrol lawn mower ( there's always one who ignores the advice about keeping power tools on site ) and a new hose reel. So far, a normal break-in. However, the night before last they broke into our brick built machine store. It has a very high security padlock so they dismantled the wall it's secured to ( if they put half as much effort into a job they wouldn't need to steal ). Inside they will have found
2 petrol lawn mowers
3 petrol strimmers
2 petrol hedge trimmers
1 generator
1 angle grinder
1 rotavator

Imagine with what trepidation I opened the door when I realised they'd been into the shed, only to find
2 petrol lawn mowers
3 petrol strimmers
2 petrol hedge trimmers
1 generator
1 angle grinder
1 rotavator.

So what on earth were they looking for? DVD players? computers? Piles of cash? I can only conclude they were looking for some seeds they couldn't find at Wilko.

So I spent yesterday morning rebuilding the wall, and because the cement would still be soft, I took a walk around the site at 10.30 last night. Oh, joy! At last I heard someone actually breaking into a shed. Do I fetch the machete and make them ex-burglars? No, I phone the police. At last we're going to catch someone.

40 minutes later, in response to a 'First Available Officer' flag ( courtesy of a friend of mine who works at Police Control ) 4 policemen and 2 policewomen arrive. We then wait another 20 minutes for a dog handler to arrive. Of course, by this time, matey has long gone and I'm left wishing I'd gone the machete route ( heck, with 17 acres to play with you could hide hundreds of bodies, and think what good it might do in a bean row ).

Apropos the main story, when the dog handler did check the site, he found two cars in the car park. One belonging to a tenant, and the other containing the said tenant, and a lady, not his wife. I can't wait to see his face when he next visits the site LOL

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: What are they after??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:02:55 »
Sorry to hear of your troubles dj

So what on earth were they looking for?

suspect that it's just cos it's there! and also many of said items you could not walk away with. 

Was in Notttingham last week and OH tells me it has the highest crime rates in the country for break-ins ? :o  That is one big headache :(
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 10:03:23 »
Sometimes finding out the motivation for break-ins is hard. Possibly bored kids, or someone looking for something in particular i.e stealing to order.

Similar thing happened to me when my shed was broken into, left everything apart from an old claw hammer, broke into a neighbours plot to steal his wheel barrow even though my wheelbarrow wasn't locked away.

Very odd, but I doubt we'll ever know what goes through their minds.  Thieving toerags.

I imagine your tenant may be a little worried about being caught doing something he shouldn't have been lol
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 20:49:38 »
there's a big crack down on the gangs up here this weekend.  let's hope some of them get the message and pass it onto the next generation of wee thugs cos they'll be having the same crackdown again next year.

bang em up that's what i say.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:56:33 »
We only have twelve acres, and fingers crossed very few break ins. There are a couple of overgrown plots where we could loose a body... do Foxes strip carcasses? or would we really have to bury it?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 13:25:28 »
They'll dig them up if you don't bury them deep enough. Don't forget they can detect the heat coming off a rotting corpse; the place for it is down deep under a big manure pile. After a couple of years, spread the manure, dig up the body, and scatter the bones over several miles of waterway.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 23:06:03 »
I'll bear that in mind RB!
 :-X

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 06:21:46 »
That sounds worryingly like the voice of experience Robert. Is there anything you'd like to tell us?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:03:28 »
could you not grind up the bones and dig it in ?

8)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 12:38:28 »
Still haven't worked any further on my story where murder is committed at the plot and the body disposed/buried. Saw CSI (on dvd) - one attempted disposal used lime.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 18:14:56 »
They'll dig them up if you don't bury them deep enough. Don't forget they can detect the heat coming off a rotting corpse; the place for it is down deep under a big manure pile. After a couple of years, spread the manure, dig up the body, and scatter the bones over several miles of waterway.

flippin 'ek robert-you are one scary dude! :o :o :o
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal